Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does training/fighting change her perspective?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does training/fighting change her perspective?

I didn't start watching fights until I started training myself. I'm just wondering the opinions of other guys who actually box, do you think a non-boxer can actually appreciate or understand the sport until they do it themselves?

not really, no

Comment

Originally posted by ~satchel~ View Post
      I didn't start watching fights until I started training myself. I'm just wondering the opinions of other guys who actually box, do you think a non-boxer can actually appreciate or understand the sport until they do it themselves?
      its way harder than it looks its not all about knocking guys out theres way more to it once u actually start training or sparring for yourself u learn to apprciate and respect fighters more........

Comment

No!

People don' realise how it is until they try it!

I've seen people come to the gym then leave after the warm up, or people who get to the stage where they can spar, get caught in the nose and never come back again.

Once people step in the ring they'll never have the audacity to call another boxer a ***** ever again. It takes guts and determination to step into a ring and stand toe to toe with another fighter.

Comment

Nope. That's why the average person thinks a boxing match is boring unless it's a total slug fest. They can't understand the intricacies and technique of boxing, they only understand when guys are landing big punches.
          Last edited by ScottDBA; 12-13-2008, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I agree with everyone here, I was never into watching a boxing match because it looked boring, until I started boxing myself, thats when I was able to really appreciate televised boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by bbos View Post
              I agree with everyone here, I was never into watching a boxing match because it looked boring, until I started boxing myself, thats when I was able to really appreciate televised boxing.
              ha...ditto for that.

I never showed up to a forum until I was well into learning boxing. And I didn't know dick about pro boxers. Still don't. But I mean...I realllly didn't have a clue. Knew Ali was the greatest. There was Tyson, Foreman and some other dudes...and a few new boxers. I got laughed at pretty much, for my lack of boxing history and knowledge.

Then when I suggested that I knew boxing, just not about boxing...that was sort of hard for the arm chair folks to comprehend. I knew I could box most peoples ears off. But was like..Manny who?

And of course there are the fans, who figure they know more about boxing, and likely see themselves as having the capability to do what we do...yet have never stepped in a ring. You'll notice them post their back yard boxing on here from time to time, with 3000+ posts already. Then be totally befuddled when they get laughed at.

But overall, I think most fans who are only fans know and accept they are that...boxing fans. That they have no desire to step in the ring. Can respect those who do and our need/want to do it. What it to simply step through. Then further what it takes to excel at it. It takes a dedication most won't and sometimes often can't commit to.

Also though, as I am finding...a person can certainly be both. And to really grow as a boxer, it is likely a necessity. To know it's history, the many techniques and styles of the best. All the different scenarios that have played out, with so many fights through boxings history. These should I think be the study as part of the growth of a boxer.

To answer the question, do they understand the sport like we do? Likely not. But we can most likely learn from each other.

Comment

Working...
              X