• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musashi Confident Before Final

Musashi Confident Before Final
    from k-1 official site
    Written by Monty DiPietro.

TOKYO, December 1, 2003 -- As we enter K-1 World Grand Prix Final Week, fans are taking a close look at the eight finalists for the world's most prestigious martial arts tournament, set for Tokyo Dome on December 6.

Today we look in on Musashi, the K-1 Japan Grand Prix 2003 Champion and Five-time World Grand Prix Final participant. Musashi has never really sparkled at the Tokyo Dome, but with so many new and inexperienced fighters in the tournament this year, Musashi has his best shot yet.

No less an authority than Mike Sloan, lead writer for leading ringsport site Sherdog.com. and the editor-in-chief for Ko.Sherdog.com, agrees this might be Musashi's year. In a recent interview, Sloan picked the "young, tough and determined" Remy Bonjasky to win it all, but went on to say, "My dark horse is the underrated Musashi. I think he could surprise everyone by toppling all the others!"

At the Ihara Gym in fashionable Daikanyama, Tokyo, Musashi is training with former WBA Supermiddleweight Champion Frankie Lyles of the USA. He is working a new regimen: Running from 8 am for 30-40 min, then to the gym. First comes stretching, then shadow boxing, with heavy emphasis on combinations. Later the two work with the mitts -- focused also on defense, and on Musashi's body position -- before sparring.

Musashi looks good, faster than ever, and very well set. Taking a break from the training, he and Lyles answer a few questions from the media.

Musashi, how did you come to be working with Frankie?

Musashi: I saw Frankie working with Bob Sapp in two months ago in Osaka, which is my hometown. I was impressed and so I wanted to work with him.

How is the training going?

Musashi: We have been working together for more than a month now, it was difficult at first, a new style for me. But Frankie was a world boxing champion, and so I knew there were a lot of new things I could learn from him. Now it's going much better, very good. I'm confident that I'm ready for the Final.

What has been the hardest adjustment?

Musashi: I had speed but I realize that's not all I need, I've been developing my timing. Also, being here in Tokyo instead of Osaka, it is a different environment and I'm a little homesick, but the good thing is I can completely focus on training.

Frankie, what do you have to say about Musashi?

Lyles: I'm happy to be here helping Musashi. He has always been good with his legs, so I am working on having him use his legs and hands together. I want him to know that after blocking he can come back with more than one punch, I want him to really use his hands, so we are working on combinations.

How is he progressing?

Lyles: I am very impressed, he shown me a lot. I think in the past he was one dimensional, but we have used a process, and now he can take the next step. He has style and finesse, if he doesn't finish with the legs, it'll be with punches. He will show his fans and everyone at the Tokyo Dome how far he's come along.

Musashi, are you ready for Ray Sefo?

Musashi: I know that Ray Sefo always looks for the one big punch, so I'm working on that with Frankie, how to defend while also throwing combinations, and looking for the right time to throw my kicks.

Comment

Working...
    X