Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KJ Noons is a free agent - will UFC want him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KJ Noons is a free agent - will UFC want him?

Noons: 'I’m a Free Agent'
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008
    by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

Karl James Noons is looking towards greener pastures, which may or may not include his return to the EliteXC cage, he says.

“I’m a free agent,” Noons told Sherdog. com Monday, the result of EliteXC taking back his championship belt.

Noons, 25, was stripped of his EliteXC 160-pound title on Sept. 19 after the promotion said he refused to defend his title against Nick Diaz.

Noons bested the mouthy Stockton, Calif. native with a first-round TKO on cuts in November 2007. Words between the fighters and their families ensued in the cage, and a rematch loomed.

EliteXC attempted to promote said rematch on three separate cards since July. But Noons took umbrage with Diaz’s pay scale, which was nearly three times more than his.

Private discussions spilled into the public forum when an EliteXC rep announced Noons had been given a 24-hour deadline to accept the bout.

Though Noons was subsequently removed from EliteXC’s champions mantle, he said a piece is missing from the timeline.

“We weren’t coming to agreements on the fight, so I gave them written notice that I’d give them the belt back five days prior before they stripped me,” he said, in the hopes of “working something out.” “I didn’t make it public, and I guess to prove a point, or maybe out of ego or whatever they want, they stripped me.

Noons said his contract, of which two fights remain, only pertains to his reign as a titleholder.

"Since I’ve been stripped, I’m no longer the champion and I don’t owe them the fights," he said. "I owed them fights for being a champion.

Jeremy Lappen, EliteXC’s Head of Fight Operations, doesn’t agree.

"KJ still has two more fights on his contract," Lappen said Monday. “I’m hoping we’ll work something out, but there’s really not much to work out. He’s still under contract with us.

Lappen confirmed that Diaz will now face Philadelphian upstart Eddie Alvarez for the vacated title on Nov. 8 at the Reno Events Center in Reno, Nev.

Noons, who offered to fight Alvarez when the Diaz negotiations broke down, was unimpressed by the news.

“Hopefully they’ll want to bring me back in the future and they can have Eddie or Nick or whoever they have in the future fight the real champ,” he said.

If Noons will be sitting cageside in Reno on Nov. 8 remains to be seen, though there has been some light at the end of the tunnel.

Noons, his manager Mark Dion, and EliteXC officials met for two days in Los Angeles two weeks ago to try and hash out the fighter’s future with the organization. Talks are ongoing, but both sides are hopeful for a resolution.

“I think the talks we’re very helpful,” said Lappen. “I think we have a better understanding of where each side is coming from.

Though an immediate consensus wasn’t reached, both parties agreed that Noons could pursue a boxing match on Nov. 13 for a small Los Angeles promotion.

“We’re still on good terms,” said Noons. “We’re gonna see if we can work a deal out, but as of right now, we are on the same page as I’m going to go box right now.

With Showtime in advanced negotiations to purchase EliteXC, the promotion’s future is looking a lot more stable than its $55 million debt currently suggests. Stars will be needed to steer vehicles on Showtime and CBS telecasts to come.

“I think KJ could be a big star,” said Lappen. I’ve always thought that. He’s a very talented fighter. That has never been a question.

Whether both fighter and promotion can meet somewhere in the middle remains undecided.
    And if not, will rival promotions like the UFC, WEC, or Affliction be in the market for his services?

Noons is optimistic.

“I’m 25 years old. I’m the defending world champ and I can do two sports,” he said. “Hopefully they’ll want to bring me back. I just hope that they’ll see the value in me, and if not, I believe somebody else will.

IMO highly unlikely the situation with Elite XC gets worked out

though I'd like to see Noons vs Diaz happen again.

*I believe Golden Boy signing KJ would make the most sense as if KJ really wants to do both boxing and MMA, being under GBP would really help his career IMO.

plus Golden Boy and Affliction plan to do 4 shows combining the 2 sports (MMA-Boxing)

KJ could appear on the joint events as an MMA fighter

and box under Golden Boy.

Comment

Diaz/Noons already happened, Diaz talked trash and got dropped and was getting beated en route to that cut stoppage. I thot Nons beat him convincingly and felt he should of took on Alvarez

Comment

yeah i know Diaz/Noons happened, which is why I said I'd want to see it again

convincing victory or not, it still ended on a cut, which is a lame way to win. and Noons not wanting to take a rematch really is puzzling. Plus in other interviews I've seen KJ totally write Diaz off as getting another opportunity.

take the following example.

as post the Yves Edwards fight when asked by the interviewer about if he'd fight Diaz again (I believe Bil Goldberg)

KJ polled the crowd rather then answer himself.

lame crap like that is just stupid.

**I guess the money really did get in the way as Diaz was said to be getting 3x the money then KJ.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ406 View Post
          *I believe Golden Boy signing KJ would make the most sense as if KJ really wants to do both boxing and MMA, being under GBP would really help his career IMO.

plus Golden Boy and Affliction plan to do 4 shows combining the 2 sports (MMA-Boxing)

KJ could appear on the joint events as an MMA fighter

and box under Golden Boy.
          That would probably be a good move.

Comment

Not with the current agent he has.

Comment

yeah good point Royal.

didn't Vera have to drop City Boxing to advance his career?

the only thing really on KJ's side is the fact that he can do 2 sports, like he said and has recognition of being a champion

however if getting short money is going to be an ongoing problem with Noons

getting another contract might be hard

as IMO with records of 7-2 and 8-1 in MMA + Boxing

KJ hasn't gotten to the point where he should really be demanding anything.

Comment

Noons wanting to be a boxer is gonna hinder his chances in UFC in my opinion cuz I dont think Dana would allow that, if you sign to the UFC, the UFC and only the UFC can make money off you

Comment

yeah good point, I think some of the problems with Fedor to the UFC were regarding Fedor wanting to compete in Sambo tournaments

Comment

Working...
                  X