Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Sylvia in trouble because of banned substance

Tim Sylvia = Banned Substance at UFC 44
    10-7-2003 4:54 PM PST

UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia announced today that he had taken a banned substance prior to his title defense against Gan McGee on Sept. 26 in Las Vegas.

"I made a terrible mistake... the biggest mistake of my life," Sylvia said. "I wish I could take it back, but that isn't possible. So, I'm ready to accept the consequences for my actions."

The Nevada State Athletic Commission notified Sylvia of the infraction earlier this week. Sylvia hopes to have a hearing in front of the board on Oct. 15 in Las Vegas.

"After I won the title, I wanted to look better... to have a better physique," Sylvia said. "I have never taken steroids before, so I tried it for a month after the Ricco fight. Now, it's obvious that it was a big mistake."

Sylvia said he will abide by whatever decisions are made by the NSAC and Zuffa.

"I just want to apologize for letting people down... my fans, my teammates, my family, the Nevada State Athletic Commission and the UFC," Sylvia said. "I can't express how disappointed I am in myself right now. I've gotten such great support from so many people... I hope they will stick by me and help me get through this. I want to accept responsibility for what I did, do whatever I have to do to put it behind me, and move on with my career."

Damn, I wonder what the penalty is for that.

Thanks Tanner

Comment

thats ****ed he's gonna get banned for a year just like barnett

Comment

This is very shocking. He didn't need to take them, he already had the phyiscal tools to dominate the UFC at heavyweight

Comment

not only shocking but disappointing.

Comment

Wow, man that sucks. See, they need to have the testing results "before" the actual fight, wouldn't that be better? Wanted to look better? Sheesh, & guys think women are vain..........

but it was still a good fight, he would have still won even if he hadn't used that..... right?

Comment

Originally posted by momita
              Wow, man that sucks. See, they need to have the testing results "before" the actual fight, wouldn't that be better? Wanted to look better? Sheesh, & guys think women are vain..........

but it was still a good fight, he would have still won even if he hadn't used that..... right?
              Seroids had nothing to do with that fight. It was a clean QUICK K.O

This isn't like Josh where the style of fighting and the way the fight when CLEARLY showed the roids helped him

Tim just K.Oed him

Comment

Regardless he should be stripped of the title, Barnett was, so it is only fair that the same happens to Sylvia.....

Comment

I knew he was on the juice. One of his friends was posting on a steroid forum I mod at. The guy should have told Sylvia about clearance times, etc. I don't know why these guys take steroids without doing their research.

Comment

So what does this mean? Is the title up for grabs now or is it given to Gan ?

Comment

Working...
                    X