Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What athletes from other sports may have been good boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What athletes from other sports may have been good boxers?

I've always thought Jim Brown would've made a helluva heavyweight. I think he was about 6'2" 230, with incredible speed, strength and athleticism. On top of that, he had an attitude too. This guy was tough.

Allen Iverson is another. at 6'1" 160 he would have been a perfect middleweight. Cat like quikness and p4p the toughest guy in the NBA in my opinion.

Any others you guys think would have made good fighters?

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    I've always thought Jim Brown would've made a helluva heavyweight. I think he was about 6'2" 230, with incredible speed, strength and athleticism. On top of that, he had an attitude too. This guy was tough.

Allen Iverson is another. at 6'1" 160 he would have been a perfect middleweight. Cat like quikness and p4p the toughest guy in the NBA in my opinion.

Any others you guys think would have made good fighters?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

** I'd like a pop at Iverson. Guy looks to fold with the first good shot to the gut. Basketball is all flash and getting the ref on your side. I ain't impressed.

Brown has the physical tools, but I doubt he has the stamina and chin. At any rate, he'd be a sitting duck by any decent journeyman if he didn't. Anyone who strangles marshmallow execs and women with his frequency seems to have some some masculinity issues, although Tyson did well along those lines. Just can't see Brown in the Tyson mode in the boxing ring, but I could see him 'rasslin'.

Always thought Joe Montana would make a good LH. Damn near impossible to knock the guy out and what intelligence to win he had. Decent athleticism + winning attributes and takes a tremondous hit.

Wilt Chamberlain was trained a month by D'amato to beat Ali in an aborted fight when Wilt couldn't get guarantees on his purse. Hard to know how Wilt would have done in a career, but he definitely had the ideal attributes to beat Ali which is why Cus took him on, knowing that Ali could never properly prepare for what Wilt brought to the ring.

I was disappointed when Too Tall pulled up short. Undefeated, all KOs save one, but quickly figured out he was losing a hundred grand every fight and resigned with the Cowboys.

I tend to think it would be some of the lesser athletic pros who might make good fighters. Not that many great athletes in the biz. It takes different set of genes to make a good fighter beside athleticism. See Joe Frazier in early super stars competition.

Speaking of which, Wlad is probably the most athletic and formidable physical speciman in heavyweight history. He's a manufactured fighter who clearly lacks the joy of pure combat unlike his brother Vitali who footsteps he looked to follow in. Potentially great athletes in other sports could do well in boxing, but Wlad has spent his entire life in the sport, and it ain't easy taking shots even if you win 90% of your career contested rounds like he does.

Comment

boxing is a vastly different sport that its hard to choose who would do good.

football players generally have good stamina for their size, but look at Bob Sapp, ex NFL player who gasses in the first round horribly.

If anything it would be a tough sport like Lacross or Hockey that requires both speed, stamina and toughness (know that describes pretty much every sport).

This pretty much explains why boxing gets rated as the most physically demanding sport by ESPN.

you need acceleration power and tons of stamina.

Comment

I was just thinking about this topics a few days ago. Good stuff. I will add my contribution later.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post

** I'd like a pop at Iverson. Guy looks to fold with the first good shot to the gut. Basketball is all flash and getting the ref on your side. I ain't impressed.

Brown has the physical tools, but I doubt he has the stamina and chin. At any rate, he'd be a sitting duck by any decent journeyman if he didn't. Anyone who strangles marshmallow execs and women with his frequency seems to have some some masculinity issues, although Tyson did well along those lines. Just can't see Brown in the Tyson mode in the boxing ring, but I could see him 'rasslin'.

Always thought Joe Montana would make a good LH. Damn near impossible to knock the guy out and what intelligence to win he had. Decent athleticism + winning attributes and takes a tremondous hit.

Wilt Chamberlain was trained a month by D'amato to beat Ali in an aborted fight when Wilt couldn't get guarantees on his purse. Hard to know how Wilt would have done in a career, but he definitely had the ideal attributes to beat Ali which is why Cus took him on, knowing that Ali could never properly prepare for what Wilt brought to the ring.

I was disappointed when Too Tall pulled up short. Undefeated, all KOs save one, but quickly figured out he was losing a hundred grand every fight and resigned with the Cowboys.

I tend to think it would be some of the lesser athletic pros who might make good fighters. Not that many great athletes in the biz. It takes different set of genes to make a good fighter beside athleticism. See Joe Frazier in early super stars competition.

Speaking of which, Wlad is probably the most athletic and formidable physical speciman in heavyweight history. He's a manufactured fighter who clearly lacks the joy of pure combat unlike his brother Vitali who footsteps he looked to follow in. Potentially great athletes in other sports could do well in boxing, but Wlad has spent his entire life in the sport, and it ain't easy taking shots even if you win 90% of your career contested rounds like he does.
          - - Blast from the past.

Any modern athletes making good boxers?

Comment

Possibly a few hockey players might have been good mid-card fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post

Dude, Iverson was an All-State football player in Virginia, he got hit plenty of times. He was considered the toughest dude in the league pound for pound who took all kinds of beatings.

And plenty of boxers beat women up.

Sugar Ray Robinson's the GOAT and beat his wife all the time. They even made a documentary about it.
              JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

Neymar could have been slick mover who has mediocre punch power and chin.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhA9_SlDIHjbdmGBXJ4bVatPb4BXr0t8RFIQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post

Dude, Iverson was an All-State football player in Virginia, he got hit plenty of times. He was considered the toughest dude in the league pound for pound who took all kinds of beatings.

And plenty of boxers beat women up.

Sugar Ray Robinson's the GOAT and beat his wife all the time. They even made a documentary about it.
                  - - That at the end of career when he going punch drunk.

Did Ivy ever box an exhibition?

Comment

Jim Brown was good for his time. But it is no cinch that he would be a great today. The linemen he played against were hardly bigger than he was and had bellies all. Oh, and he never threw a block his whole career. But we know he was fast, strong and coordinated. Now If Walter Payton or Barry Sanders were playing against the same lines he did, they would make about 3,000 yards per season. None of that means Brown would not be a good boxer. He already knows what hard training is.

He cried for special dispensation when he crept back to the huddle instead of walking normally or jogging like the other players.

Boxing is an intricate sport with lots of nuances. You don't just go in and start beating people who have trained and practiced it for years, unless they are scrubs. Brown might do all right, but not fresh out of the blocks.

Comment

Working...
                    X