No announcement yet.

MMA training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMA training

I wasn't totally sure where to put this thread. Feel free to move it if it's not in the proper forum. I figured since the description of this forum states, "all Mixed Martial Art material in here" it would be the most logical. Anyway...

I am looking to compete in a pancrase event this upcoming October. I have experience in BJJ and currently train in three stand-up fighting styles. What I am wondering is, what are some methods of training I can adopt for the next month and a half or so that will improve my performance?

I have some sparring partners/training buddies. So if there are partner drills that you suggest I can do them. I also have a punching bag, weights, etc.

Any advice offered is greatly appreciated. Unless you're a smart ass. :fu:

If you are confident enough in your grappling skills and striking, I would focus on cardio. You will want to stop lifting about a week before the event.....

Comment

What 3 standup styles do you train dude?

Comment

cardio, cardio, cardio. Unless you have good enough bjj skills to end the match in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph_17
          What 3 standup styles do you train dude?
          Muay Thai, Cheung Style Sport Kung Fu and Wing Chun.

Here's my dilemma. I'm not sure if I am confident enough in my skills. They do not go by rank or experience, they go by weight class. I think my takedowns and ground fighting need a little more work. I'm a bit rusty with them.

Comment

Heres my advice-quit the kung fu crap and stick with muay thai and concentrate on improving ya BJJ and muay thai skills, that will improve ya bread and butter techniques and that what ya need.

Comment

Cardio is key man. If you are fighting three rounds train for five.....

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph_17
                Heres my advice-quit the kung fu crap and stick with muay thai and concentrate on improving ya BJJ and muay thai skills, that will improve ya bread and butter techniques and that what ya need.
                Nah I can't quit kung fu. Cheung Style Sport Kung Fu is actually a lot like kickboxing. Can't tell me kung fu is never effective, look at Cung Le. There's no one better in what he competes in. Thats what happens when you mix kung fu with a style like Muay Thai.

Comment

4 skills needed to compete now a days that 99% of top fighters have:

1) MAD CARDIO (to survive..... when you are out there you'll need all the cardio you can get, the adrenaline takes alot away from you)
                  2) Muay Tai (or any form of kickboxing for your stand up techniques)
                  3) BJJ (for ground game and submissions)
                  4) Wrestling (for positioning and takedowns)

btw, good luck on your fight. Keep us posted.

- The Dogg

Comment

Thanks Dogg.

Comment

Working...
                    X