Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGuigan on Pacman VS Hatton.

Hitman v Pacman . . a dream scrap that could turn into a real nightmare

5/07/2008

(What's this?)Ricky Hatton versus Manny Pacquiao.

Mouth-watering, but I think Paul Malignaggi and Edwin Valero - the men they are slated to fight next - might have a say in that.

Malignaggi would be by no means a foregone conclusion for Hatton in November. If Miguel Cotto could not put him away why should we assume Ricky can?

Pacquiao has even more on his hands with Valero, who I rate one of the best pound for pounders in the world.

If I were to choose a winner now between the Hitman and the Pacman I would go for Hatton's educated pressure to prevail.

That said, I reserve the right to judge again should Pacquiao share a ring with Valero as expected.

Pacquiao's victory over David Diaz last week in his first outing at lightweight was sensational but I suspect it said more about the loser than the winner.

I remember watching Diaz against Erik Morales in August last year in what turned out to be the great Mexican's losing swansong. Morales had Diaz down early in the fight and would have blown him away at his peak.

Let's see how good Pacquiao is against Valero. If he comes through that then Hatton could be in a lot of trouble.

We shouldn't be too hasty to judge Hatton on the strength of his last performance against Juan Lazcano. He was coming off his first defeat, a heavy one at that, and had a virus.

He was not anywhere near best. Hatton is at the stage in his career where only the big fights will motivate him.

Malignaggi is a tough fight for him. The New Yorker fought poorly against Lovemore N'dou on the Manchester bill with Hatton but will be a different proposition at Madison Square Garden in front of his home crowd. He doesn't hit hard but he hits often and combines accuracy with great elusiveness. Malignaggi took the best Cotto could dish out and did not buckle.

You would expect Hatton to win but you can see how he might lose.

It comes back to the same thing with all fighters. When you have earned as much as Hatton has banked - some say £17million from the Floyd Mayweather bout - returning to the well gets progressively harder.

Getting hit about the head is hard enough when you are hungry. But when your belly is full it is easy to see how desire might ebb away.

Pacquiao is also nearing the end of his career. What a champion he has been. The Diaz win brought him a world title in a fourth weight category, the lightweight belt adding to those at fly, super bantamweight and super featherweight.

He has carried his power through the divisions brilliantly. And at only half an inch shorter than Hatton, would not look small.

Indeed he entered the ring against Diaz weighing 147lbs - welterweight - suggesting he would not be giving too much away to Hatton.

I would still give Hatton the physical edge being slightly bigger genetically. But to make it count he would have to find Pacquiao first.

Diaz barely landed a meaningful punch.

----------From the Daily Mirror---------------------------------

Man Ricky aint gonna knock Malignaggi out or even stop him.

Comment

Man, Naz is a bum.

Comment

Pacquiao is half an inch taller than Hatton, not shorter. It's probably from his larger head though.

Comment

Hatton wont put Malignaggi away I dont think, I dont get why every British person thinks hes the best boxer ever
          and yeah im from England

Comment

From the posts here, I think that perhaps I was reading a different article where Maguigan claimed that Hatton was going to utterly destroy Paulie.

Comment

Is paulie mag really that tough. I heard him speak the other day and didnt think he was all that. But i suppose you cant tell by their voices, right?

Comment

paulie gonna be super motivated for this one as hatton THE man of the division. will that starving hunger give him the edge. paulie 100% focused on hatton. can the same be said for hatton? i be cheering hatton tho, he's an all time english legend

Comment

Manny will beat Valero. Hatton will beat Malignaggi.

I think Manny and Hatton WILL happen sometime next year and it will probably be the Hitman's last fight.

No idea how it will finish.

Comment

There is a good chance Manny would stop Hatton should they ever meet, it would be a war though.

Comment

Working...
                    X