Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson- Helping or Hurting MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson- Helping or Hurting MMA?

The man known as Kimbo Slice won a controversial win via TKO against the much bigger James Thompson. Some thought that it was an early stoppage but some disagree saying the damage of Thompson's ear was too significant to let it go on. Kimbo seemed impressive on the ground reversing and getting out of key situations but almost got himself into trouble late in the second round after taking many but insignificant elbows to the head and managed to get out. This fight puts Kimbo 3-0 in his MMA career with wins over Bo Cantrell and Tank Abbott. The question is whether Kimbo is helping or hurting MMA since many say he's the wrong person to represent the sport. I say he's helping it because he has been the talk of many discussions and has drawn many fans to the sport which is what the sport needs

He's only helping the sport and people who don't accept him play against it, he's drawing so much buzz and hype it's not even funny. how can ity be bad is what I'm asking, why aren't people happy for him? I don't get it, don't people want MMA being discussed on Sportscenter?

Comment

I just wish he wasnt on national tv last night and that it wouldve been on showtime.

Comment

Hes a bum, people look at him and say ffs theirs a guy whos beating up bouncers in the street, now hes a star in the mma world then they watch fights like last night and laugh and think pathetic, we here all the **** that mma is taking over boxing and is more better etc etc but guys like kimbo are a joke and the hype and stuff that goes with this guy makes mma a laughing stock.

Comment

Originally posted by th4l3pr3ch4un View Post
          I just wish he wasnt on national tv last night and that it wouldve been on showtime.
          But why though? why would you rather limit the audience for an MMA event to a channel that only those who got cable has?even if I had no cable I still could have watched so think of how many people without cable became fans of Gina Carano, Joe Villasenor, Robbie Lawler and not so much just Kimbo Slice. if Kimbo can generate that kind of atmosphere and create that much of a an event with his hype alone why is that bad? Kimbo had a hard respectable bout and won, what's the problem?

Comment

I still say some press is better than no press. I don't think he's hurting all that much. I guess it depends on the ultimate goal of MMA.

I know that current fans that have access to all the fights aren't necessarily hoping that John Doe in the cubicle next to them at work is an MMA fan as well - they don't need it to be trendy for them to enjoy it.

As far as building the sport up though, Kimbo is helping a little bit though last night may prove to be more of a step back than leap forward

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933 View Post
              I still say some press is better than no press. I don't think he's hurting all that much. I guess it depends on the ultimate goal of MMA.

I know that current fans that have access to all the fights aren't necessarily hoping that John Doe in the cubicle next to them at work is an MMA fan as well - they don't need it to be trendy for them to enjoy it.

As far as building the sport up though, Kimbo is helping a little bit though last night may prove to be more of a step back than leap forward
              I don't understand why you say its a step back, in what way? He didn't stop the fight the ref did, you can't put blame on any fighter for that. Kimbo just wants to win and make money

Comment

Of course he's bringing more fans to the sport, which is a good thing I guess. The thing is though he's not really representing the sport of MMA well. Which is a variety of martial arts and his style is called brawling. Which it said last night in the tale of the tape. He's just a show for the people that want to see violence and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar-Mosley123 View Post
                  I don't understand why you say its a step back, in what way? He didn't stop the fight the ref did, you can't put blame on any fighter for that. Kimbo just wants to win and make money
                  Kimbo was being painted as a monster, he looked bad and the crowd was booing at the end of the event. That's not a step forward if he is what is drawing fans to MMA. You would want them pleased walking out, looking forward to his next fight

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar-Mosley123 View Post
                    Kimbo seemed impressive on the ground reversing and getting out of key situations
                    ARE YOU ******ED?

He got out on pure strength. He got his guard passed at will. He showed no technique. Other than strength, he had no idea what to do on the ground.

What are your grappling credentials?

Comment

Working...
                    X