No announcement yet.

detroit metro golden gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detroit metro golden gloves

I went to the gloves for the first time and saw some good fights and some really lethargic displays....one thing I noticed is no one in any weight classes really utilized the uppercut, novice or open class, it seemed like like the only close quarter punches were hooks. Also, most of the fights had a brawl like atmosphere, when the distance was removed the fighters abandoned technique as well as their own defence.

Kronk gym cleaned the house, most of their fighters ended up taking all the close decisions and had a few KO's as well.

The heavy weight division was a joke. The open title fight was a large kronk fighter ( twinkie large ) who happened to be black, against a white skinhead with tatoo's all over himself. I thought the sinhead was doomed. The whole time before the fight the skinhead and his trailer park entourage were in the back of the house watching him get ready. This guy was putting on a show, he was dancing around like he was Suger Ray, cutting the tiles up, throwing menacing hooks at his little gangster friends wearing football jersey's and bandana's, it was hilarious. then comes the fight, they came out roaring potbelly against potbelly, krispy kreme vs dunkin doughnuts, they let it all go, for about 20 seconds then they were breathing so hard they almost sucked the paint off of the walls. Round 2 the black fighter from Kronk hit this kid so hard with a hook that his mouthpeice went flying 8 rows deep, the skinhead made it through round 2, but no dancing, where is the dancing guy? Round 3 no action again, no dancing, no tile cutting, I thought for sure they were going to have to re-canvas the ring as soon as the doughboy finished doing the Hustle. Anyways, the skinhead won because he aparently scored a few more times than the Kronk fighter. The Kronk fighter got robbed he deserved to win....No KO's, No dancing with the stars, no blood....disappointment....

you know what This years gloves SUCKED! I cant believe they had 1 minute rounds for most of the fights! YES THEY HAD 1 MINUTE ROUNDS FOR MOST OF THE FIGHTS BESIDES THE OPEN CLASS! HOW THE **** CAN YOU DO THAT? I KNOW ITS AMATEUR BOXING BUT WTF, 1 MINUTE ROUND? jesus man. o and the matchups for the non open class were really messed up, i mean im not going to say any names but i know a certain match where a guy had 19 fights and fought a guy that had 4!

Comment

uppercuts are tough punches to land, man.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
        uppercuts are tough punches to land, man.
        and more importantly...hard for an amateur to throw correctly...

Comment

it dont hurt to try an uppercut though...well it will hurt if u throw it really bad, lol but i'd still try. i want to go to golden gloves next year tho...gotta make sure my skills are good enuff.

Comment

they had a lot of 1 minute rounds as well...i think that is BS, but what can you do, it takes the skill right out of it.....

I have been boxing for like 5 months and im not trying to be cocky but, I can say with confidence that I would have won the open class heavyweight division....just because of conditioning, i would have outlasted these guys easily.......And the way this event is scored....it doesnt matter if you land power punches, it is a game of tag........

Comment

Yah, I went to the East Michigan Golden Gloves. Most of the guys competing don't have much experience so they just try to knock their opponent out. They throw any and every punch in the book. They don't know what they're doing.

Comment

Working...
              X