No announcement yet.

From Couch to 5K

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Couch to 5K

Those who have bothered to read some of my posts will know I'm no runner. This was due to the fact I had a bad spiral break in my leg (both the tibula and fibula) and now have a titanium rod in my lower leg (nearly from knee to ankle). I've never felt confident of going running and to be honest, the last time I ever had a serious run was probably while I was at school (19 years ago).

BUT

I decided that if I wanted to up my fitness I would HAVE to take up running. My heavybag workouts, cardio and weights (which I do at my house), are defining my physique but not increasing my fitness to the extent I would like. So, I checked the web and found a cracking little running workout called "From Couch to 5K" and thought it's gonna be just the thing.

The way it works is simple, you commit to three running sessions a week with each week getting progressively tougher. For example, week one you have a 20 minute session where you run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, run 60 seconds etc, etc. Week two 90 seconds running, 120 seconds walking, 90 seconds running etc, etc. You get the idea.

Here's the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I started my "Couch to 5K" plan this morning. Went out for my run at 6am as I need to leave for work at 7.15am. It was great, felt really energised and invigorated. Though I will admit being out of breath at times and also had a stitch. But, at least I've started. Apparently this plan really works and by week 9 you are running 30 mins non-stop.

I'll keep you updated with my progress (bet you're on the edge of your seat!!!) Next run, thursday 6am.

cool.. im going to try this fo sure!

Comment

I have a similar problem with a bad knee, I started boxing because I knew i could get a great work out without having to pound the pavement every day, but like you, i now feel i need to add running to get my fitness were I want it to be.

I'll give this a go tomorrow and keep you posted of my results as well, just so we can measure how effective this method is.

THanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Sven72 View Post
        THanks for sharing
        Not a problem Sven, that's what it's all about eh.

Comment

My knees are fine 99% of the time but get sore from certain activities. I've tried running the last few weeks and both have had problems. The right one seemed to get hurt on Sunday. It hurt to walk for a few hours but since then it's been fine with walking and cycling. Gonna go for a run tomorrow and see how it feels.

Are you taking any precautions? I only run on grass but apart from that and getting better running shoes, I'm not sure what else to do.

Comment

Clegg, I'm doing a mixture. At the back of my house there's a cycle path which is tarmac for part of it and hard gravel for the other part. I did think about running round the edges of the football pitch along from my house but it's waterlogged at the moment! Have you checked the link for the Couch to 5K plan? If not, check it out - it's the way to do it if, like me, you're no runner.

Precautions? Don't really know what you mean. I've got a pair of Nike Airs (got them half price, £30!) if that's what you mean!! Just make sure you follow the plan and make sure you stretch for a few minutes before you set off and when you get back home.

Hey, I'm no expert (obviously) but I've got faith in this plan. I know it will work. I've read plenty of comments about it on running websites and it does work.

Good luck!

Comment

well this is more jogging than running (theres a difference) but good on you anyway.
              my problem is more explosive power so ill head to another thread
              good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jberg View Post
                well this is more jogging than running (theres a difference) but good on you anyway.
                my problem is more explosive power so ill head to another thread
                good luck
                True, but you have to start somewhere. Once my fitness levels are enough for me to run 5K without stopping I will then move onto a more boxing-led sprinting/jogging routine.

Comment

well I'm about to head off for my first jog/walk in this program. I'll let you know how I get on

Comment

well, did the first run last night. Pretty cruisy, didn't really break a sweat, so I'm not sure if I need to be doing a bit more. Shins were a bit sore afterwards but knee held up really well.

Comment

Working...
                    X