Collapse
No announcement yet.

my long tale of trying to cut to 139...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my long tale of trying to cut to 139...

it began a cold morning in like aug 06, i had been boxing at my house for over 2 years, teaching myself basics just to get a good work out... i weighed 166, decided to finally join a boxing club and take the next step to my boxing... sept i joined... and quickly cut to 155. never walked around higher from oct on... the rest of the year training in 07 i learned a LOT from my trainer, and worked my body pretty hard. as of jan 08 i walk ar no higher then 150... when im in the gym everyday 147...

the two weights i can choose from are 147 (welter), or 139 (light Welter)
    these are canadian amatuer weights and i know if i cut to 139 ill be bigger then most my opponents.. but at the weight i might be so drained it doesnt matter... but at 147 i will fight some tall 6, 6'1 guys and also some short jacked up guys... and me personally im not jacked but im in shape... sooo im kinda stuck..

and making 139 alone has been rough.. im spose to start sparring jan 14th and i have 7 days left to make it, and i been training hard trying to cut, today 144.25 ... i never been lower then 143.. so we'll see what happens..

any advice or feedback would be helpful and appreciated

good luck my friend

Comment

it not worth killing yourself if you cant do it then you cant do it

Comment

your cutting weight to start sparring?

Comment

Originally posted by punchDrUnK MONK View Post
          it began a cold morning in like aug 06, i had been boxing at my house for over 2 years, teaching myself basics just to get a good work out... i weighed 166, decided to finally join a boxing club and take the next step to my boxing... sept i joined... and quickly cut to 155. never walked around higher from oct on... the rest of the year training in 07 i learned a LOT from my trainer, and worked my body pretty hard. as of jan 08 i walk ar no higher then 150... when im in the gym everyday 147...

these are canadian amatuer weights and i know if i cut to 139 ill be bigger then most my opponents.. but at the weight i might be so drained it doesnt matter... but at 147 i will fight some tall 6, 6'1 guys and also some short jacked up guys... and me personally im not jacked but im in shape... sooo im kinda stuck..

and making 139 alone has been rough.. im spose to start sparring jan 14th and i have 7 days left to make it, and i been training hard trying to cut, today 144.25 ... i never been lower then 143.. so we'll see what happens..

Why do Canada operate with a different set of weight division than everyone else in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by punchDrUnK MONK View Post

Do what ever you feel healthy and comfortable maintaining. I'm short at my weight and fair ok with it.

Although i often give a few inches in reach, i'm definately stronger than my sparring partners at the same weight, and i use my size to my advantage.

Besides, don't focus on your weight to much, focus on skills and drills and focus on being a fit as possible. That is far more important.

If you're not a pro, then don't drain yourself into unhappiness! (But this is just me). I stay at 75/76kg ... although for my height, i should be around 70kg (if i follow suit with fellow amatuers in my area). But i feel fine at 75kg, so i don't starve myself.

I can take the shots at 75, and also give it. If you can work at the higher weight, then i say do it.

Comment

Working...
            X