• harry greb vs sugar ray robinson

the GREATEST vs the mystery
    i'll go with the sugar man.
    harry greb
    37.50%
    sugar ray robinson
    62.50%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by AntonTheMeh; 12-15-2007, 01:20 AM.

Oh man! WHAT a match up!

Did you read the book entitled "Tunney" by Jack Kavanaugh? He gives an excellent account of how bad Greb beat up the undefeated Gene Tunney when they first fought. And Greb was still only a middleweight!

Greb was descibed as hitting his opponant so many times and from so many different angles all so fast that fighting him was likened to having multiple shelves filled with shoes all falling on you for the entire fight. Not only that, but I personally think that Greb was the second "dirtiest" fighter in history. Only Zivic ranks higher in my book. Greb was a master at getting a fighter out of his game plan by imposing HIS unorthodox style on the other man.

What else can be said about Ray Robinson? In my opinion, he was THE greatest P4P boxer that ever lived. He could do it all with pizazz and with real KO power. Had loads of heart to go along with an over abundance of God given talent.

I absolutely love both of these guys. I can see Greb being all over Robinson and hitting him more than he's ever been hit. But I just can't make myself pick against Ray Robinson.

In a fight that could go either way, and it would probably be a really back & forth series had they ever fought, I'm going with Ray Robinson W15.

Kudos on a fantastic match up!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
      Oh man! WHAT a match up!

Did you read the book entitled "Tunney" by Jack Kavanaugh? He gives an excellent account of how bad Greb beat up the undefeated Gene Tunney when they first fought. And Greb was still only a middleweight!

Greb was descibed as hitting his opponant so many times and from so many different angles all so fast that fighting him was likened to having multiple shelves filled with shoes all falling on you for the entire fight. Not only that, but I personally think that Greb was the second "dirtiest" fighter in history. Only Zivic ranks higher in my book. Greb was a master at getting a fighter out of his game plan by imposing HIS unorthodox style on the other man.

What else can be said about Ray Robinson? In my opinion, he was THE greatest P4P boxer that ever lived. He could do it all with pizazz and with real KO power. Had loads of heart to go along with an over abundance of God given talent.

I absolutely love both of these guys. I can see Greb being all over Robinson and hitting him more than he's ever been hit. But I just can't make myself pick against Ray Robinson.

In a fight that could go either way, and it would probably be a really back & forth series had they ever fought, I'm going with Ray Robinson W15.

Kudos on a fantastic match up!
      i have to check that book out
      read any books on greb?

Comment

Originally posted by ANTONIM View Post
        i have to check that book out
        read any books on greb?
        The only book I know of on Greb was written in the 1930's and it is long out of print. It was called "Give him to the angels."

I've read the articles on him in the boxing mags and there were some small write ups about him in some of Bert R. Sugar's books, but the most extensive material I read on him was in that book on Tunney. That author really got into each of the boxers that he wrote about, including Greb, Dempsey, Gibbons, Firpo and Carpentier, among others.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
          The only book I know of on Greb was written in the 1930's and it is long out of print. It was called "Give him to the angels."

I've read the articles on him in the boxing mags and there were some small write ups about him in some of Bert R. Sugar's books, but the most extensive material I read on him was in that book on Tunney. That author really got into each of the boxers that he wrote about, including Greb, Dempsey, Gibbons, Firpo and Carpentier, among others.
          ok cool thanks.

Comment

greb beat tunney the first time they fought, and he's bigger man between him and SRR, greb was undisputed middleweight champ of the world and american lt hw champ. i think greb has more than a chance to beat robinson because of his style. lamotta beat robinson once with the same swarming style, greb was dirtier and more agressive than lamotta

Comment

Originally posted by the filth View Post
              greb beat tunney the first time they fought, and he's bigger man between him and SRR, greb was undisputed middleweight champ of the world and american lt hw champ. i think greb has more than a chance to beat robinson because of his style. lamotta beat robinson once with the same swarming style, greb was dirtier and more agressive than lamotta
              Good post & good points. Especially the LaMotta reference.

See, on this match up, most people who know their stuff recognize it could go either way and probably would each time they fought.

Oh how I wish we all could have seen this one....

Comment

This fight would sell out MSG 10 times over. It would be full of fireworks that's for sure! These two guys were animals but I'd give it to The Human Windmill by SD who'd just swarm Robinson right from the get go throwing a constant barrage of punches. Greb had around 100 more fights than Sugar Ray but didn't have one punch KO power to finish off Sugar Ray who got dropped 5 times in 202 fights so no one KO's Sugar Ray who would have been the more naturally skilled fighter and had KO power in both hands with Greb having one of the best chins in Boxing history! If Greb felt he was behind he'd start using dirty tactics like thumbing his oponents eye. Greb also whipped several top Heavyweights also where Robinson came up short for LHW title in the heat towards end of his caerer. They'd have to close down the whole of NY if these two ever met.

Comment

Greb at MW takes it I'd say by a hard fought Decision. Would be a barn-burner.

Comment

Working...
                  X