No announcement yet.

Ray Leonard overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Leonard overrated

Seriously, how can people consider him the best of the fab 4? Duran can be considered better on longevity alone, let alone the fact that Duran had some huge wins, and beat peak Leonard pretty easily (despite Duran being 12 pounds above his best weight).

Hearns outboxed Leonard for 10 of 14 rounds in their first fight. Too bad Tommy took a punch like a spider's web. The first time Leonard tapped him, Hearns was staggering all over the place. Hearns was a far better boxer, and was robbed in the rematch.

The Hagler decision is still debated today. We know what would have happened if a peak Hagler faced Leonard.

The Hagler decision is still debated today. We know what would have happened if a peak Hagler faced Leonard.
    peak hagler vs peak leonard?
    wouldnt happen man,middle vs welter here
    leonard beat hagler
    he did it how h was suppose to
    land more shots and avoid more shots
    Hearns outboxed Leonard for 10 of 14 rounds in their first fight. Too bad Tommy took a punch like a spider's web. The first time Leonard tapped him, Hearns was staggering all over the place. Hearns was a far better boxer, and was robbed in the rematch.
    now i agree tommy was better
    but yea his chin was tested too much,and he couldnt pass all the tests
    but tommy is the best boxer wit a combination of power,speed and skill
    but still
    leonard is a ferocious puncher
    i think he's actually underrated for that
    Seriously, how can people consider him the best of the fab 4? Duran can be considered better on longevity alone, let alone the fact that Duran had some huge wins, and beat peak Leonard pretty easily (despite Duran being 12 pounds above his best weight).
    leonards way better
    only reason he lossed the 1st fight is becuz of his cockiness
    he was undefeated at the time n was too confident n cocky
    he said he'd fight Duran at his own game,flatfooted
    didnt work
    but later that year he fought like sugar ray leonard...hisself
    and made duran quit
    now dont gimme no arguements bout prime,cuz both they 1st fights was in 80'
    no excuses
    leonard made a mistak at 1st

Comment

ohhhhhhhhh shanusssssssssssssssssss where art thou?

Comment

All fighters are overrated.Get over it.

Comment

of the three fights ive seen of leonard, i just have to say he is an amazing fighter.
          dont know if he is the best of the fabulous 4, but he was damn good.

Comment

If you think of it, Leonard's career is similar to Ali's. Hearns was Ray's Sonny Liston, a huge test of which Leonard passed with flying colors. Duran was Leonard's Frazier, who engaged him in a great three-fight rivalry. Finally Marvin Hagler was Leonard's Foreman, a seemingly invincible fighter when Leonard was past his prime and Leonard defied the odds and did the impossible. Now that I think about it, Leonard could arguably be the number one welterweight of all-time. Hearns, Hagler, and Duran wee better than anybody Ray Robinson ever faced. I have Leonard as the #2 welterweight under Robby, and #8 pound for pound.

1. Ali
            2. Robinson
            3. Armstrong
            4. Gans
            5. Pep
            6. Duran
            7. Charles
            8. Leonard

Comment

No one thinks Leonard is better than Duran.

Of course Leonard is overrated, he was the media-darling cross-over star who everyone liked.

He never rematched Hearns, Duran, Hagler (not in their primes anyways). And he beat them all under very specific circumstances.

He is still a great, though

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
                If you think of it, Leonard's career is similar to Ali's. Hearns was Ray's Sonny Liston, a huge test of which Leonard passed with flying colors. Duran was Leonard's Frazier, who engaged him in a great three-fight rivalry. Finally Marvin Hagler was Leonard's Foreman, a seemingly invincible fighter when Leonard was past his prime and Leonard defied the odds and did the impossible. Now that I think about it, Leonard could arguably be the number one welterweight of all-time. Hearns, Hagler, and Duran wee better than anybody Ray Robinson ever faced. I have Leonard as the #2 welterweight under Robby, and #8 pound for pound.

1. Ali
                2. Robinson
                3. Armstrong
                4. Gans
                5. Pep
                6. Duran
                7. Charles
                8. Leonard

OMG! nice comparison! True to that

Comment

Why does it seem that posters are obsessed with fighters being "overrated"?

Poet

Comment

To say I'm not a Leonard fan is a huge understatement, but the argument could me made that Leonard was the best of the fab four if only because he's the only one (of the foursome) to have defeated the other three.

It's also a huge understatement to say that of the four, Duran is the only one whose blip on boxing's radar screen has taken on legendary proportions, helped in no small measure by his defeat of Leonard.

Comment

Working...
                    X