No announcement yet.

Hello!=0)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!=0)

I'm new at this and I need some advice. I just signed my little brother up into a boxing club in burbank Ca. I am not sure if i made the right choice in picking that particular boxing gym. I wanted to know what i should be looking for when choosing a gym for him, what kinda trainer, how much should i be paying, ext. Can anyone help me with this?

you have to know what you're getting for your money. My first boxing gym was really nice. It was open in the late afternoon-nights and had at least a couple trainers there all the time. They put their members on a specific program that changed as the member progressed. They gave personal attention when needed and were laid back, which made the gym welcoming to both competitive and recreational boxers. Everyone was comfortable, which helped beginners progress faster and not get insecure during their beginning stages.

I think i paid like $65/month. Which may seem like a lot, but it was worth it considering: the personal coaching/training/attention and the facility (one ring, fitness equipment, plenty of punching bags, a lot of gloves for free rental).

Certainly the more personal attention one receives the better, though you can expect to pay for what you get.

IMO the best trainers are the ones confidant enough with themselves to not be overbearing and inflexible. They should know the aspirations of their members and adjust to differences. At this point, the goal for your brother should probably be to learn in a relaxed environment and see if he likes it. He should come home and be excited about what he is learning and it most definitely should not feel like a chore.

Comment

Thank you, my brothers trainer is really good with him, it's one on one training. The owner is bit of a smarta** , but he never deals with him. I pay $150 a month, is that to much? They are open from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday through Saturday. It works out really well for my brother and he loves it. It seems like the enviroment is a relaxed one because of my brothers trainer. He just doesn't like the owner, do you think i should look for another gym?

Comment

it's up to you. If you're comfortable with it then stick with it. There are always going to be to *******s around, but as long as they're not interfering then it's ok. If your brother is enjoying it then there is no need to switch, unless there is a financial issue, in which case there are gyms out there that are definitely cheaper. However, they may not offer what your brother likes and what you are comfortable with.

Up to you, if you like it and he likes it, then stay.

Comment

150 a month? Wow that's alot for a beginner.

Comment

Thank you Aru2299, I'm going to discuss it with my brother to see what he would like to do, really appreciate the advice =0), Rellik13 the owner says once he starts competing it go's down to $65, is that what usually happens or is it the other way around?

Comment

That sounds about right. I remember the competitive hopefuls at my gym getting extra/special treatment, but I never knew if their costs went down. It wouldn't surprise me. Besides, if thats what your bro's trainer is doing then thats good.

Comment

Thank you aru2299, I feel better know that i know what to look for and how to go about things with these issues =0)

Comment

A buck Fifty does seem a lil steep

Comment

my gym is in the ghetto part around here but i think thats the best place for a boxing gym because you got somepeople who have had hard times in life and they are serious about the sport and they help u out and my gym was $50 a month but my trainer gave me free member ship sometimes and also look at the trainer and see how well he works with the other people in there.

Comment

Working...
                    X