No announcement yet.

Foreman's hand-speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreman's hand-speed

One of the most common things about Foreman that I've heard on this forum are that Foreman had slow hand-speed.

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I watch Foreman I get the impression that people said he was slow only because his long wind-up time and telegraphing give the impression of a slow punch.

He'll take like one or two whole seconds to draw his hand back, but the moment he lets it go, it flies pretty fast to the target.

I'm not saying he's Muhammad Ali or Tyson in his hand-speed or anything, but his hand-speed seems like it's above-average for a heavyweight when I'm looking at it.

**** Ali, Foreman is where it's at. Ali would never give foreman a rematch, because ali know foreman would put Ali in a comma. Is ali's favorite boxer Mayweather so we can have some more boring matches in boxing.

Comment

Uhh yeah right. I think Foreman was stupid enough to fall for it again. This guy wasn't adaptable. Just a monster with no skill. And Ali can take on monsters, and had skill.

Threadstarter. So basicely you're saying that the thing that made him look slow, was the load up for the power punch? Fair enough, i can agree with that.

Comment

Young Foreman was not slow, but Old Foreman was.

People seem to remember what they see last, or hear last: They heard Ali call him slow like a mummy, so it must be true. Then they saw an overweight ex-Heavyweight Champion come out of retirement and no longer had the ability he once had, except for some power.

I hate to say it, but people rarely think for themselves. They hear what others say and they become parrots.

Watch the tapes, watch the tapes, and keep an open mind.

Yes, include what others have said (but only people that have fought him), and then make up your mind.

Oh, if he was so slow why did he seem to hit Frazier every time?
        How come Chuvallo could not fight back?
        How come Ali had to wait until Foreman wore himself down?

All this and we are talking about a fighter who threw punches from way down south.

If you look at some of his fights, notably his Olympic fight, in my opinion, he looked sharp, and his hand speed was nice because he was throwing many straight punches.
        Just look at his jab in that fight: it was not even a paw type of jab, it was a powerful jab with some speed.

I agree with the poster that said it was from him loading up and not because he was acutally slow. When he loads up he pulls all the way back, and it gives you enough time to say "OH ****" in your mind. It is like when you are in a car accident and you know how you get that feeling when everything slows down, that is Foreman, a car accident and you are the one being plowed by the Truck.

He also had bad techniqe a lot of times and if he added snap, he would of been even more lethal.
        Last edited by Benny Leonard; 05-27-2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Good point about not having snap to his punches. His left good seems to have decent speed but sometimes I think when he doubled them up with a right cross the right would come in slower than you would expect. But damn, that power was devastating!

Plus, I don't consider him slow as much as just being slightly slower than other champions. No disrespect there as either way, as he was great. Just like you would not consider Ali to have a lot of power when compared to other champions but he was still great as well. I think more people should recognize that he did lot more than simply lose to Ali.

Comment

Working...
          X