No announcement yet.

Wrist weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrist weights

Well i just bought a pair of wrist weights that are 1.1 lb each, and have strapped them around the velcro parts of each glove, i got the idea from a mayweather jr public training video.

I also plan to get heavier weights rather then just the 1.1lb which were really just to test, so all i was really wondering was does anyone train with wrist weights and is it safe to do? and whats a good size weight amount to use for each hand.

They are bad to your "head to fists" timing and joints. wrist weights are overrated.
    Last edited by BrooklynBomber; 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM. Reason: forgot to put a word

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
      They are bad to your "head to fists" and joints. wrist weights are overrated.
      so what about what this guy does?

Comment

Originally posted by audley View Post
        so what about what this guy does?

IS not he doing it with dumbbels?
        ITs good for a warm up, but I would rather just wok the bag and train in 16 ounce gloves, these are the best weights for you.

Comment

Here is the clip i was talking about, but i was thinking that if your hitting the bag with the wrist weights it cant be as bad for you joints, because atleast your connecting with something rather then punching the air..

He straps them on at about 2:50, they also look like pretty big weights the ones i have dont even compare in size.

Comment

You dont want to be using heavy gloves for the bag, thats the mistake most people make, you want light gloves for the bag, like 8oz gloves or even bag mits,
            Lots of people think that if you train with heavy gloves on, when it comes to fightnight and you put the 8oz gloves on you will can punch much faster, this aint the case. The only time you should really wear heavygloves is when your sparring, as you dont want to hurt each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Manfredo Jr View Post
              You dont want to be using heavy gloves for the bag, thats the mistake most people make, you want light gloves for the bag, like 8oz gloves or even bag mits,
              Lots of people think that if you train with heavy gloves on, when it comes to fightnight and you put the 8oz gloves on you will can punch much faster, this aint the case. The only time you should really wear heavygloves is when your sparring, as you dont want to hurt each other.
              but it is thou.. doing road work with a backpack on will make it hard, but when you remove it your body is lighter and you will have better fitness due to lesser resistance.

Comment

it dont work like that with heavygloves, you wear heavygloves and your arms get into the the habit of punching that little bit slower, if you wear heavy gloves
                for like 4 months then fight with 8oz gloves you aint gonna can punch quicker, i though you could but ive been told by 2 of my trainers it aint like that.

Comment

I use 16oz gloves on the bag so I get used to them and dont suck in sparring.

Comment

what weight you use to spar?

Comment

Working...
                    X