Super Secret Exercise Tips for People with Arthritis
People with arthritis should exercise ? but they need to keep some valuable information in mind. Here are some important tips to follow:
1. Make sure you warm up. Warming up increases blood flow and helps muscles loosen up. Five minutes of simple walking or riding a stationary bike will do it.
2. Stretching improves flexibility which helps a patient prepare for aerobic activity. Stretching the hamstrings and quadriceps muscles is important.
3. Start out easy. If you exercise too hard you switch from aerobic to anaerobic activity. This can lead to potentially painful and dangerous injury. To determine where you need to be, find your target heart rate by subtracting your age from 220, then aim for 40 to 70% of that rate.
4. You need to push a bit. Make sure you are working inside the 40 to 70% range to improve energy, lose weight, and build muscle. If you push too hard you'll be in a lot of pain and may need to back off a bit.
5. Do not eat within two hours of exercising. Digestion causes blood flow to go to the gut instead of the muscles. This could cause abdominal cramps and nausea.
6. Make sure you don't overdo it. When lifting weights, the temptation is to push too hard. If you are lifting the proper amount of weight you will feel fatigue by the 15th repetition. When you find that a certain weight becomes too easy, go up a bit in weight. Weight training helps improve stamina, energy, and strength.
7. Cool down properly. Stretch, breathe deeply, and don't stop abruptly.
8. Drink plenty of water. The rule of thumb is drinking 8 ounces of water for every fifteen minutes of exercise. After you're done, drink more. Proper water intake will help with your cool down, circulation, and injury prevention.
9. If you're using a stair climber or elliptical machine, the temptation is to lean on the arm rests. This could lead to bad posture and low back problems. Stand straight.
10. Use proper form. Improper form leads to injury.
11. If you hurt, skip your exercise that day. Trying to work through the pain may lead to injury. You may notice some muscle soreness the day after a good workout. The soreness should not last longer than a day or two.
12. Consider seeing a physical therapist prior to starting an exercise program. They can give you a set of "do's and don'ts".
13. "Custom fit" your exercise. For instance, if you have bad shoulders, then swimming is probably not the right exercise for you. Consider biking or walking. On the other hand, if you have bad knees, swimming might be better for you than walking. Avoid rowing if you have a bad back.
Dr. Wei (pronounced "way") is a board-certified rheumatologist and Clinical Director of the nationally respected Arthritis and Osteoporosis Center of Maryland. He is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and has served as a consultant to the Arthritis Branch of the National Institutes of Health. He is a Fellow of the American College of Rheumatology and the American College of Physicians. For more information on arthritis and related conditions, go to: http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com
Overcoming Resistance to Exercise
Are You Destined to Sit on the Couch?If someone mentions exercise do you think, "I hate to exercise. There's no way I'm doing that.
Lance Armstrong, Exercise, and Will Power- Characteristics that Make a Champion!
The Tour De France, arguably may be the hardest sport of all time, and Lance Armstrong probably one of the most conditioned athletes ever. But, how is it possible for a man on the door step of death to be able to overcome cancer, return and win seven races in a row? Only in the end, retire on top as a winner he so right fully deserves.
Pilates Exercises - Can They Give You The Body Youve Always Wanted?
Pilates exercises are a favorite fitness choice for many people including movie stars like Danny Glover and Gweneth Paltrow, professional dancers, and even some professional baseball players. Why this fascination with Pilates? What can it do that other forms of exercise can't?I began doing Pilates several years ago when I was searching for a different look for my body.
Precision Abdominal Training
It's almost impossible to turn on the television or open a magazine without being barraged by advertisements for washboard abs, the best abdominal training machine ever designed or a 'magic' pill specifically designed to remove fat from problem areas. In my previous articles I alluded to the fact that most machines do not work, in fact they actually can increase the risk of injury.
Sports Specific Exercise
The Greek physician Galen (AD 129 - 210) is generally accepted to be the originator of formalized exercise, he even pointed the way forward by stating,"?movements which do not alter respiration are not called exercise".Whilst he was chief physician to the Gladiators, Galen devised training drills to replicate movements from the arena, as seen in the 1960 film Spartacus.
Why Do My Feet Hurt So Much When I Run?
If you are a seasoned runner you know the importance of a good running shoe. It can make the difference between a great running experience and potential injury.
Banish Your Lower Back Pain Permanently Without Drugs or Surgery
It is estimated that about 80 percent of the population will suffer from low back pain at some point in their lives. The condition accounts for millions of dollars in medical expenses and lost work time and is often a perpetual misery for the sufferer.
Professional Triathlon Training Taking You To Your Best
There are hundreds of different programs for professional triathlon training that will work for you. There are even more that won't.
Best Abdominal Exercises to Get the Sexy Six Pack You Deserve
The key to getting those sexy abdominals lies mainly on what abdominal exercises you choose to perform.Here are the best yoga Exercises for Removing Abdominal Fat Permanently!1)Dhanurasana-Bow PostureTechnique:1.
Exercise Smarter Not Harder - 10 Ways to Make Consistent Progress in Your Exercise Plan!
My name is Greg Ryan. I am a fitness expert, professional bodybuilder personal trainer to movie stars, and former employee of Kathy Smith.
Performing Potentially Dangerous Gym Exercises
How do you know that the exercises you are performing are safe? Found below are some potentially dangerous exercises with suggestions on how they should be done correctly or avoided completely.Sit-upTraditional abdominal exercises such as the sit-up, incline sit-up and hip-raises are exercises that are used to train the obliques and the upper and lower abdominals.
The Science of Carbohydrate Loading
A valid connection between hypoglycemia, fatigue and premature termination of exercise been firmly established and therefore carbohydrate loading is a proven form of boosting running endurance in prolonged events lasting more than two hours in duration. While there are various methods of carbo-loading, the process basically involves consuming large quantities of carbohydrate-rich food in order to saturate the body's carbohydrate stores.