By John MacDonald
Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport is open to a fight between Scott Quigg and European champion Kid Galahad but only if it happens in Britain and the correct financial procedures are in place.
Mick Hennessey, Galahad's promoter, reportedly made a £400,000 offer for Quigg to defend his WBA super bantamweight title against the 18-0 (9) Sheffield stylist in Dubai on December 6. Over the past few years, rumours of contests involving big name fighters being held in the oil-rich Arab state have been rife, but they have failed to come to fruition leaving Hearn sceptical over the authenticity of the offer.
“We are open to the Galahad fight, but on behalf of my fighter I've got to make sure this is a genuine offer,” he said when speaking to BoxingScene. “Ever since Scott’s victory over [Stephane] Jamoye we have had his next fight scheduled for November 22.
“I’ve lost count of the number of proposed Dubai fights that have failed to materialise and I am not willing to put my client in that position when I've already got a fight scheduled in the U.K. We are always open to listen to genuine offers as long as the correct financial procedures and regulations are in place.”
Hearn has opened talks to stage a unification bout between domestic rivals Quigg, 26, and IBF champion Carl Frampton, 19-0 (13), early next year. If this fight cannot become a reality then he will turn his attention to Kid Galahad.
“Discussions are already underway with members Carl Frampton’s team—it's the one we and the British public want in 2015 but if that fails to materialise then we are happy to look at Kid Galahad . He (Galahad) is a quality young fighter and although he is yet to fight anyone of any note we certainly wouldn't rule anyone out.”
Quigg, 29-0-2 (22), will return to action as planned on the undercard of the grudge-match between Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew on November 22 at the Echo Arena, Liverpool. Shingo Wake, 17-4-2 (10), was ruled out of the contest yesterday after sustaining an ankle injury.
Many believed that Wake had been the frontrunner to challenge for the 26-year-old’s title, leaving little time to find a replacement. However, Hearn revealed that this is not the case and that a contract was already in place for Quigg’s opponent, who will be announced at a press conference in Quigg’s hometown.
He said: “We signed the contract for Scott’s November 22 opponent earlier this week and we will hold a press conference in Bury early next week.”