Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Donnie Nietes vs. Raul Garcia Agreement is Getting Closer

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Mexican promoter Oswaldo Kuchle has informed BoxingScene.com/The Standard that he has "released Raul Garcia to fight Donnie Nietes, the WBO light flyweight champion and the longest reigning Filipino world champion" following the willingness of Zanfer Promotions Fernando Beltran to postpone the mandatory challenge of Moises Fuentes against Nietes for a more lucrative showdown at the StubHub Center in Carson City, California on September 24.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told The Standard that he first wants to "agree on what is going to be out there for Fuentes before we can agree on the Garcia fight."

He said "if we fight Garcia in May we need to discuss the mandatory with Fuentes in September" before confirming the Nietes title defense against Raul Garcia, twin brother of Ramon  Garcia Hirales from whom Nietes won the title by a unanimous twelve round decision at the University of St. La Salle Coliseum in Bacolod City on October 8, 2011.

boxing

Aldeguer told us that fight fans in Bacolod were clamoring for Nietes to return to his hometown of Murcia which is on the outskirts of Bacolod. He said "people wanted the fight after all the accomplishments of Donnie."

If the fight doesn't take place in Bacolod Aldeguer said the alternative would be the Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu.     

Aldeguer said Fernando Beltran said he had no objections to the proposal but hadn’t yet formally agreed since they also have to secure the approval of the World Boxing Organization president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel who had earlier directed Nietes to face Fuentes in a   mandatory title defense which would be their third fight after Nietes demolished Fuentes on May 10, 2014, dropping him three times in the 9th  round for a rousing knockout victory at
the Mall of Asia Arena along Manila Bay.

In suggesting that the Nietes-Fuentes mandatory be held in the US, Aldeguer was looking at a big fight with a wider American audience. However, he said if the proposal was disallowed by the WBC president, Nietes was ready to face Fuentes even in Mexico where he defended his minimum weight title successfully on several occasions against  Mexican opponents in their own hometowns.

The 32 year old southpaw Raul "Rayito" Garcia who is ranked No. 11 by the WBO  has a record of 36-3-1 with 22 knockouts. On June 14, 2008, he won the title from  Filipino IBF Minimumweight champion Florante Condes in  a somewhat controversial 12 round split decision after being dropped by Condes in the final round,  in Garcia's hometown of La Paz, Mexico.

Garcia defended his IBF title four times. He lost the IBF mini flyweight title against South African Nkosinathi Joyi on 26 March 2010 by a unanimous decision.

After losing his IBF title, Garcia went on to win the WBO interim minimumweight title on October 30, 2010 by a split decision against Luis dela Rosa. He was scheduled to face Donnie Nietes on March 12, 2011 for the full championship, however, just two weeks prior to the fight date, Nietes announced that he would be vacating his world title and moving up in weight which resulted in "Rayito" Garcia being elevated to full champion.

On May 30, 2011, he successfully defended the title for the first time by third round TKO against Filipino Rommel Asenjo. Garcia and his brother Ramón made history that on this night when they became the first set of twin brothers to win world title fights on the same card.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Johnny Garton Expects a Real Fire Fight With Gary Corcoran Kell Brook Aims For December Fight, No Issue With 147 For Khan Ali Akhmedov Rolls Forward With Another Knockout Victory WBC Prez: Canelo Shut Mouths, Showed He's Better Than GGG! Nathan Gorman is Hounding Hatton For Daniel Dubois Fight Dmitry Bivol vs. Jean Pascal in Play For November 24 Regis Prograis Sees Future at 147, Eyes Errol Spence Cormier: Khabib is Crazy, Mayweather Will Beat Him Up Bad! Canelo: The WBC Has Been My Family Since The Beginning Dorticos' Coach Confident Second Time is The Charm in WBSS Miguel Roman Training Hard, Confident of Shocking Berchelt Photos: Canelo Honored By The WBC, Belted By Sulaiman Joe Smith Promoter: We Expect Beterbiev Fight Next, Not Bivol Andrade: I Want Big Fights, Not Face Lesser Guys Like Charlos Do Jaime Munguia Eyes December Fight, Takeshi Inoue is Possible Josh Taylor: Postol Gave Me Test I Needed, I'll Win The WBSS Artur Beterbiev vs. Joe Smith in Play, Says Michel Hearn: We Want Wilder, We're Consistently Making The Effort Bellew: I 100% Believe That I Will Take Oleksandr Usyk Apart! Christian Mbilli Stops Luis Fernando Pina in Two Rounds Katie Taylor Aims To Make Statement For Boston Fans JJ Metcalf vs. Liam Williams Added To Frampton-Warrington Canelo Alvarez vs. Rocky Fielding - Ticket Information Mayweather Reacts To Khabib: CBS, SHO - Get The Checkbook! Lebedev vs. Wilson, Zhang vs. Ustinov on November 24, Monaco Shakur Stevenson Wants Josh Warrington Sooner Than Later Lemieux Hopes To Return in December, Fight Canelo in 2019 Bob Arum: I Don't Believe There's An Al Haymon; He's Fictional Team Kautondokwa Praise Ruling on Saunders, Andrade Shot Frampton Open To Gary Russell, Smiles at Warrington's Style Lewis Benson Vows To Bounce Back, Wants Coyle Rematch Zolani Tete To Be Trained By Floyd Mayweather Sr. McGregor's Trainer Doesn't Rule Out Malignaggi Boxing Match Ricky Hatton Expects Very Big Things From Nathan Gorman This Bud's For You, Crawford's Stock Continues To Rise Adonis Stevenson: I'll Prove I'm Still #1, I'll Knock Gvozdyk Out! Mikael Zewski vs. Ali Funeka Set For Stevenson-Gvozdyk Card Rey Vargas Planning To Make Title Defense in December Felix Verdejo vs. Yardley Armenta Cruz on November 10 Ruben Villa Outpoints Miguel Carrizoza Over Eight Rounds
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement