In the last week, Dillian Whyte has called for a showdown with Dominic Breazeale.
Breazeale is the WBC's mandatory challenger to the heavyweight world champion Deontay Wilder.
Whyte was in talks to face IBF, IBO, WBO and WBA (Super) heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua on April 13 at Wembley Stadium in London - but their discussions fell apart over monetary issues.
Now Whyte is being lined up for a return date on April 13 at the O2 Arena, while Joshua is heading to a June 1 date against Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
Whyte has labeled Breazeale as his top priority for the April date.
Breazeale is open to the idea of doing the fight - but under the right conditions.
“People have talked about it for a while. I am a fan-pleasing type of guy, so if that’s what the fans want to see, I’m all for it,” Breazeale said to The Independent.
“At the same time, I’m not going to pass up opportunities to fight for the WBC title, to go down there to fight Dillian Whyte. I hope he does make some type of a deal. He can come here to the United States and he can get all he wants of Dominic Breazeale.”
Whyte views a contest with Breazeale as a sure-shot way to secure a mandatory creak at Wilder.
“I’m trying to get a certain Dominic Breazeale because he’s the mandatory, even though I’m the number one challenger – which doesn’t make sense," Whyte said. “So if I can get him in the ring and have a dust up with him and beat him, then I will become mandatory and Deontay Wilder will have to stop hiding from me eventually, but we’ll see.
“If that doesn’t happen I need to stay busy because I don’t want to sit around and wait seven, eight, nine months doing nothing. I prefer to keep risking my position and keep fighting. It’s dangerous and it’s quite frustrating but I just want to be busy and keep entertaining the fans. It’s dangerous and it’s quite frustrating but I just want to be busy and keep entertaining the fans.