Dillian Whyte is beyond frustrated with the WBC.
Whyte doesn’t want to wait for Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder to fight a third time before he gets his title shot, let alone longer. The WBC’s mandatory challenger for Fury’s title definitely doesn’t want to hear anything about Fury fighting Anthony Joshua in his subsequent bout if the unbeaten WBC champion defeats Wilder again in their third fight.
England’s Whyte expressed his dismay with the WBC during a recent interview with Sky Sports. He can’t understand why WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman hasn’t been more forceful about ensuring that Whyte gets his long-awaited shot at its heavyweight crown.
“I don’t know, man,” Whyte told Sky Sports’ Anna Woolhouse and Johnny Nelson. “I don’t know. I don’t know. Mauricio Sulaiman says a lot of things, and don’t do a lot of things. I don’t know, you know. I have no idea what to say. It makes me angry, and it’s frustrating that he’s saying one thing, then he’s doing another thing. Number one, Tyson Fury refused to fight me in a WBC-mandated fight for the WBC diamond belt. Secondly, they took my mandatory away and gave Tyson Fury the mandatory position, after fighting Otto Wallin, who is a million-ranked in the world. It’s a joke. How can he come back and fight – what’s the geezer’s name? Tom Schwarz, and Otto Wallin or whatever, and then end up being the mandatory challenger?
“After I’ve been fighting back-to-back, top-10 contender, they suspend my mandatory position without true cause or proper evidence or anything. It’s a joke. It’s a joke. And I don’t care whether Tyson Fury or Wilder is contracted. Wilder is injured, so they should mandate Tyson Fury to fight me, as they’ve done already before. They mandated me to fight him for the diamond belt. Then they took it away, but after Tyson Fury refused to fight me. He refused. It wasn’t me that refused. I accepted the fight that was mandated by the WBC. He refused to fight me, and then after, I’m being punished and they reward him for fighting Tom Schwarz after being off for three years. It’s a joke. It’s an absolute joke.”
England’s Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) is contractually obligated to fight Wilder (42-1-1, 41 KOs) a third time, without any bouts between their rematch and that third meeting. Fury and Wilder were supposed to square off July 18 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, but the COVID-19 pandemic pushed it back to October 3 and since has caused an indefinite delay.
Wilder revealed last month that he underwent surgery to repair a torn left biceps following his seventh-round, technical-knockout loss to Fury in their rematch February 22 at MGM Grand Garden Arena. The former champion also said he would be able to resume boxing training by the end of May, which means Wilder would be available whenever that third Fury fight is rescheduled.
Sulaiman stated prior to the pandemic that Whyte would receive his title shot against the Fury-Wilder winner by February 2021. That timetable likely will change because everyone in boxing’s schedule has been impacted by the coronavirus crisis.
Whyte has invested so much time and money in getting his WBC title shot, though, he doesn’t want to drop that pursuit now.
“I’m so far in now, what do I do?,” Whyte asked. “Do I just abandon my position and move on and go and pursue something else? Or do I just keep pushing forward and keep encouraging the fans to just keep putting pressure on them? You know, it’s a joke. The boxing world and the fans need to put pressure on Mauricio Sulaiman to mandate Tyson Fury to fight me next, you know?”
Whyte (27-1, 18 KOs) has been the WBC’s number one contender for more than 2½ years, yet Sulaiman says he didn’t become that sanctioning organization’s mandatory challenger until he beat Colombia’s Oscar Rivas (26-1, 18 KOs) by unanimous decision in a 12-round elimination match last July 20 at O2 Arena in London. Regardless, the 32-year-old Whyte has grown tired of the WBC’s stall tactics.
“People have to come together in the boxing world,” Whyte said, “and try and just put as much pressure on them as they possibly can because I don’t think they really care, to be honest. But, you know, like you’re meant to be a just organization. You know, I’ve done everything. I’ve done everything. I’ve been risking the number one position since 2017, I think, and I’m still here risking it. I’m here fighting these guys. Povetkin was number one in the WBC, which I’m gonna fight. Wilder was [supposed] to fight him. That fight didn’t happen. I’ve beat [Robert] Helenius, I’ve beat [Dereck] Chisora, I’ve beat this guy, I’ve beat that guy, I’ve beaten two former world champions. It’s crazy. It’s crazy. What more can I do, you know? I’ve spent hundreds of thousands in sanctioning fees and I’ve won every single WBC belt I’m eligible for, apart from the world title.”
Whyte will defend the WBC’s interim title against Russia’s Alexander Povetkin (35-2-1, 24 KOs) in his next fight. Whyte-Povetkin has been postponed twice, but it is expected to take place sometime in August on the grounds of Matchroom Boxing’s headquarters in Essex, England.
Whyte, who has won 11 straight fights since Anthony Joshua stopped him in December 2015, must beat Povetkin to maintain his position as the WBC’s mandatory challenger.
“I’ve put so much into it now, it’s a shame,” Whyte said. “It is a shame, and they need to look at their self and look at their organization, and realize, ‘Listen, this guy’s done everything we’ve asked from him and more, you know, and been loyal.’ That alone, in itself, should be enough to let them sort it out, you know? What more can I say? I’ve been respectful. I went out to Mexico, to the WBC their self. I went out there, and I done meet with them. I went to Cancun. You know, I sent one of my representatives to Cancun. We’ve done everything possible. We’ve done everything.”
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.