By Elliot Foster
Dillian Whyte has now thrown his hat into the ring to replace David Haye as Tony Bellew’s next opponent.
The WBC Silver heavyweight champion took to Twitter after it was revealed that former world champion Haye had withdrawn from his proposed rematch with ‘Bomber’.
Haye had been set to meet Bellew in a return of their March clash, which Bellew won by 11th round stoppage, on December 17 at the O2 Arena in London, exclusively live on Sky Sports Box Office.
But after suffering an Achilles injury in that fight, forcing an early ending and surgery, it’s a torn left bicep which has ruled him out of this one.
And Whyte, who was most recently in action on October 28 at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff when he beat Robert Helenius, has joined Tyson Fury –– the former unified world heavyweight champion –– in wanting to fight the Liverpudlian.
He tweeted his promoter, Eddie Hearn, shortly after the news broke, saying: “Let’s not let the boxing fans down. I will fight Bellew in December and beat him up, even without a proper training camp.”
But it is unlikely and Bellew’s coach Dave Coldwell has said that there will be discussions with Hearn as to what will happen next.
“I'm gutted that the rematch with David has been postponed, both for myself but more for the fans,” said Bellew. “I've had a tough camp with a lot going on in my life but was ready to repeat my win from March.
“I'll get over this disappointment over Christmas with my family and will be straight back into camp for a new date, it's a big disappointment but as always I leave my career in the hands of Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing who will get me back in there ASAP.”