By Ryan Burton
On Saturday night lightweight contender Diego Magdaleno (27-1) capped off a successful 2014 by knocking out Hevinson Herrera in the third round of their UniMas Solo Boxeo televised fight. Magdaleno went 3-0 with 2 knockouts for the year.
He said that even though he had a 6 month layoff, he felt that he would have an early night.
"I felt ready good and confident even with a layoff. I just had to find my range and timing and I knew that the KO would come," said Magdaleno.
Magdaleno dropped a close split decision to Rocky Martinez last year when he attempted to win the WBO junior lightweight title. Magdaleno has since won all four of his fights and said that he feels much stronger campaigning in the lightweight division.
"I felt very comfortable (at 135). It felt very natural to me. It is a weight class I can conquer," Magdaleno told BoxingScene.com.
Magdaleno plans on returning to the ring in the first quarter of 2015.
Send questions or comments to [email protected]. You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter