By Miguel Rivera
Super bantamweight Diego De La Hoya will not be in action on Saturday night in his native Mexicali.
According to ESPN Deportes, the young Mexican fighter fainted while training for Saturday's fight, which is scheduled to take place at the Plaza de Toros Calafia against Edixon Pérez. More than likely Seniesa Estrada will replace him as the headliner of the card.
Sources are indicated that De La Hoya was training to take off the five pounds he had remaining to make the weight limit of 122-pounds for Friday, but halfway through his training session he fainted - which forced his team to call emergency services and immediately transferred him to the hospital to stabilize him.
Once in the hospital, it was announced that he was not going to be at the final press conference and that the fight was still in play.
However, his coach Joel Díaz, his father Pablo de la Hoya, and his manager Joel de la Hoya, decided that the most important thing was to take care of the health of the fighter and a unified decision was made to cancel their fight.
This is the second time that a Deigo De La Hoya fight got canceled - although not because of dehydration. In December of last year he was going to fight with José Salgado in California, and the lt was canceled because he could not make 122-pounds - making 126 on his last attempt.
On the possibility of being the new headliner, Seniesa Estrada said that she hoped to win the hearts of the Mexican fans and demonstrate, against Débora Rengifo, that she is ready to go in search of a world championship in 2019.
"I am very happy because people in Mexicali have been very nice these last few days around here and I hope that with my spectacular style we can please them and show that we are ready to go for the world championship next year," said Estrada (14 -0, 4 KOs) told ESPN Deportes.