Promoter Lou DiBella, who works closely with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs), says his boxer is the biggest victim of PED use in the history of boxing.
In the last 16 months, Wilder has had three big fights fall apart - after his opponents failed pre-fight drug test.
The last setback was revealed on Thursday night, when World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman announced that he received confirmation from the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) Ortiz has tested positive for a banned substance under its “Clean Boxing Program.”
Wilder and Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs) were scheduled to collide in a the main event of a major card on November 4th at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Ortiz and his camp have blamed the failed on test on prescribed medication to treat high blood pressure. However, Ortiz failed to inform VADA that he was taking that medication. The Cuban boxer had been previously suspended for eight months after testing positive in September 2014 for nandrolone, an anabolic steroid, after his first-round knockout of Lateef Kayode. After serving his time, he won six fights in a row and passed all of his drug tests.
Wilder will still return on the date, with Showtime televising, but there is still no final ruling on Ortiz of the fighter who replaces him. The man who appears to be the leading candidate to replace Ortiz is former champion Bermane Stiverne, who is Wilder's mandatory challenger.
“We’re working on things with the WBC and waiting for their ruling,” DiBella said to the NY Post. “I think there will still be a great event Nov. 4. We’re process of working on it.”
“This guy can’t catch a break. No one has been more victimized by PED use in the history of boxing than him. He’s had to deal with unclean fighters. Guys that were dirty taking PEDS, and fights canceled after an entire training camp.”