By Mark Vester

Earlier this year, Oscar De La Hoya said that he would fight three times in 2008 and then retire from the sport to fully focus on his successful company, Golden Boy Promotions. He returns next week in Carson, California to face Steve Forbes, and if successful he will rematch Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September. If he gets by Mayweather, he says that a December fight with WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto is the one he wants to end his career.

In the past De La Hoya claimed to have made a promise to his wife (a popular Puerto Rican singer) that he would never fight another Puerto Rican fighter. Something, possibly the money involved in such a fight, has changed his mind.

"If I beat Mayweather, who is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, my following fight has to be with one of the best and it's no secret that Miguel Cotto is one of the best in the world," De La Hoya said. "He has a difficult fight with Antonio Margarito (July 26) and although any thing can happen, we all know that Miguel Cotto is going to win.

De La Hoya ruled out a possible rematch with Felix Trinidad because the weight difference is too much. Trinidad is currently campaigning at light heavyweight. He says a fight with Cotto is not necessary, but he can’t face an easy opponent in the last fight of his career.

"I don't need to fight Cotto, but obviously my last fight cannot be against an easy opponent. It's going to be against one of the best and after Mayweather, the next one is Cotto, who is a boxer that always wants to fight the best in the world," De La Hoya said.

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ boxingscene@hotmail.com