Earlier today, the rematch between Gennady Golovkin and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez was officially confirmed, with the fighters set to do battle again on May 5.
Alvarez and Golovkin produced a stirring fight in September last year, with one of the most anticipated bouts in recent history ending in a contentious draw.
Alvarez was awarded a questionable 118-110 scoreline by judge Adalaide Byrd after a contest Golovkin was widely believed to have edged. The fight was scored 115-113 in the Kazakh's favour by Dave Moretti, but Don Trella had it as a 114-114 draw.
A rematch was soon called for by both camps and, after Alvarez's promoters Golden Boy Promotions revealed they had agreed on a Cinco De Mayo bout. The second meeting was first revealed by former WWE superstar and actor Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson' - making the announcement for HBO.
No details of a venue or what belts will be on the line have been revealed. The first bout saw Golovkin put his WBA, IBO, WBC and IBF middleweight straps up for grabs.
“We haven’t seen a fight like this in such a long time,” De La Hoya told The Desert Sun. “You have two great middleweights banging away and going at it, nothing but excitement, and this is what boxing is all about.
“The fight fans will be able to witness again what I believe will be another fight of the year.”
De La Hoya confirms that there is no rematch clause in the deal.
Regardless of who wins or loses in May, De La Hoya confidently believes that a third fight will happen.
“It has to, there’s no doubt about it,” De La Hoya said. “The first one was a draw, whomever wins the next one, the loser is going to want to get revenge."
It's very unlikely that a third fight would come right after the second. The more probably scenario would have both boxers face other opponents for a few fights before taking on each other for a third time.