By Miguel Rivera
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who guides Mexican superstar Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, says his fighter will face IBO/IBF/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (35-0, 32KOs) next year.
The two fighters were ordered to fight this fall by the World Boxing Council. Canelo vacated his WBC title when the purse bid was looming close, and then the sanctioning body named Golovkin as their new beltholder.
Canelo (47-1-1, 33 KO's) will return to the ring on September 17th against WBO 154-pound champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KO's) at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Golovkin is back on September 10th at the O2 Arena in London, when he defends his title against IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook.
Of course a lot of fans are unhappy with the current situation. They would much rather have Golovkin and Canelo collide in September.
The two sides have a verbal deal to fight next September, which De La Hoya promises to honor. He says the showdown will not drag out like last year's welterweight fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao - which took six years to put together.
"That fight will have to happen sooner rather than later, but this was not the time," reiterated De La Hoya to ESPN Deportes. "We are not going to wait eight or 10 years, like what happened with Floyd Mayweather fighting Manny Pacquiao. It will be made sometime next year."
Canelo has no issue with fighting Golovkin next year, but his current focus is fully on Smith.
"I'm just focused on the fight on Sept. 17 against Liam Smith," Canelo said. "He's a good fighter, a great champion. He is very confident in his abilities. We will prepare very hard for this fight."