ALJOE JARO STANDS FIRM ON CUELLO’S MANDATORY TITLE SHOT/Ronnie Nathanielsz
The promoter, manager and trainer of WBC minimumweight silver champion Denver Cuello is standing firm on his demand that the World Boxing Council, headed by Don Jose Sulaiman, abides by its commitment to give the hard-hitting Filipino southpaw a mandatory title shot against newly-crowned champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China.
Zhong won the vacant title in a clash with Javier Martinez Resendiz of Mexico in Kunming, China last November 24 after Aljoe Jaro agreed to step aside for $25,000 at the request of Sulaiman who was keen on capturing the vast Chinese market..
There were reports that the Chinese promoter of Zhong, Lui Gang, was willing to put up a step aside fee of $100,000 for Cuello to allow Zhong one voluntary title defense which was being planned with American promoter Gary Shaw in Las Vegas and that Cuello would be featured on the undercard.
However, Aljoe Jaro told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard “I don’t want a step aside fee no matter how big. We want the green and gold belt” of the WBC.
Aljoe Jaro earlier told us that Cuello, who won a title eliminator with a smashing 2nd round TKO of Ganigan Lopez, has waited two years for a title shot and is not prepared to wait any longer.
Sulaiman attempted to defend the action of the WBC board of governors claiming that when the issue of a voluntary defense was raised at the recent WBC Convention in Cancun there were no objections from the Filipinos in attendance even as he claimed that Aljoe Jaro had already left to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez fight in Las Vegas when the request was made and approved.
However, Aljoe Jaro vehemently denied the claim stating that he had informed Sulaiman’s son, executive secretary Mauricio Sulaiman, that he wanted the mandatory title fight to go ahead.
The fiery Jaro said the issue was moot and academic since Cuello had won a title eliminator and had been guaranteed a title shot at the winner of the Zhong – Martinez clash for the vacant title.
has threatened to sue Sulaiman and the WBC for a breach of a contractual commitment even as he told us Mauricio Sulaiman had informed him that Don Jose wanted to talk to him.