by Ronnie Nathanielsz
World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman has reaffirmed his commitment that No.1 ranked minimumweight mandatory challenger Denver Cuello, who is handled by promoter/manager Aljoe Jaro who also trains the fighter, will get a crack at the winner of China’s Xiong Zhao Zhong’s title defense on May 7 in Las Vegas.
In an overseas telephone conversation with BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard, Sulaiman said Zhong is scheduled to engage a Panamanian challenger in a voluntary title defense to be promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and not as previously announced by Gary Shaw.
The Panamanian is said to be No. 14 ranked 23 year old Carlos “Little Spider” Ortega, who has a record of 8-2 with 4 knockouts.
Sulaiman made it clear “the winner has got to fight Cuello or he will be stripped of the title.”
Zhong has twice avoided Cuello, who was the mandatory challenger for the vacant title, and then bypassed the hard-hitting Filipino after he secured approval by the WBC board of governors for one voluntary title defense earlier. The champion claims he doesn’t fear anyone in his division.
The first Chinese professional world champion was quoted by the Bangkok Post during training in Thailand that “everyone wants to fight me but they should remember I am getting better with every defense I win.”
Zhong insisted “I don’t fear anyone in this division. In time I will fight and beat them all.”
The WBC world champion is promoted by Lu Gang, a Yunan TV executive.