By Mark Vester

During Miguel Cotto's recent return to Puerto Rico, he was mobbed by reporters who asked him about his next move in 2010. One of the obvious questions was his thoughts on a possible rematch with Antonio Margarito, who is slated to return to action in early 2010. Cotto held firm on his position of not being interested in a second meeting with Margarito. He told reporters that he will not discuss [if asked questions] the subject of a rematch with Margarito in the future.

Margarito is almost done with his suspension from the California State Athletic Commission. He lost his license in February after inserts with a plaster-like substance were discovered in his handwraps about 30-minutes prior to the January 24 bout with Shane Mosley. Margarito still fought that night and was battered, and stopped for the first time, by Mosley. Cotto suffered a bad stoppage loss to Manny Pacquiao last Saturday in Las Vegas. A rematch would be a crossroads fight with the winner moving on to bigger things.

When asked about Cotto's possible options for 2010, Top Rank's Bob Arum said a rematch with Margarito or the winner of January's bout between Shane Mosley and Andre Berto. Arum said last week that a Margarito-Cotto rematch would be huge and "a fight that everyone wants to see." Cotto said a few weeks back that Margarito will "never make another penny off of my name." Margarito's co-manager, Sergio Diaz, still believes the fight can be made if enough pennies are on the table.

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ boxingvester@gmail.com