By Haxel Ruben Murillo
Surprisingly, the World Boxing Organization (WBO) placed Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez in the number one position in the 115-pound rankings in January.
It is not necessary to be a scholar in the matter to understand that the move of the organization is due to the heavy interest in having Gonzalez fight for that title after Japanese star Naoya Inoue dropped the belt for a move to bantamweight, where he is likely going to face World Boxing Association (WBA) champion Jamie McDonnell.
But what was described and explained last week, by Enrique Armas - sports writer and deputy mayor of Managua - that there were ongoing talks to have Gonzalez and Filipino boxer Donnie Nietes fight for the vacant belt on a date in June.
The WBO is making a big push in Nicaragua, and they recently announced their plan to host their annual convention in the country from October 29 to November 2.
But Gonzalez's manager, Carlos Blandon, said everything is still on scheduled for a ring return in May, and said there is almost no chance of holding off their plans for a June fight with Nietes.
"There is a 0.0% chance of that happening, but if you have to put a percentage on it.. it would be 0.01, because you never know what God could present... but the possibility of Roman fighting in May is always the plan," Blandon said.
Nietes is the world champion under the International Boxing Federation (IBF) at 112-pounds. The Filipino will defend his title against former Argentine champion Juan Carlos Reveco, on February 24 at the Superfly 2 card, which is being held at the Forum in Inglewood, Los Angeles, California.
In the main event of that card, there will be a battle between two former Gonzalez opponents - as Juan Francisco "El Gallo" Estrada will try to snatch away the WBC world title from Srisaket Sor Rungvisai.