By Pablo Fletes, notifight.com
Nicaraguan coach Arnulfo Obando had surgery this afternoon at the Vivian Pellas Hospital in Managua, and now his friends and family will have to wait to wait for a medical opinion to determine the status of his health. The surgical procedure started on Wednesday at 11:40 that morning. The operation lasted until 2:27 pm.
It was learned from the doctors, during the operation at Vivian Pellas Hospital, that there was no need for brain surgery. That was sigh of relief for the trainer's family, who have been attentive to every development at the health care facility.
As BoxingScene.com/NotiFight.com reported on Tuesday, Obando suffered a bad stroke on Monday in Terrabona, Matagalpa, Nicaragua.
Obando, 54-years-old, is the coach of four-division world champion Roman "Chocolatito" González. He helped build Gonzalez up to being the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.
According to statement given to the hospital on Monday: "He said there was weakness in the upper extremities and he had a bad headache in the early hours. (Arnulfo) got up at 5:00 a.m. and told me he felt bad, then he went to the bathroom and that was when he fainted. We ran to lift him up and took him to the hospital. They detected the seriousness of the matter and sent him to the Vivian Pellas emergency room."
In September, Gonzalez made history by becoming the first boxer from Nicaragua to win world titles in four weight divisions. He won a close twelve round decision over previously undefeated Carlos Cuadras of Mexico to capture the WBC super flyweight world title before a packed crowd in Los Angeles. There is talk of an HBO televised rematch in 2017.
It may take quite a while for Obando to completely recover. For now it's too early to speculate on the future direction of Chocolatito's corner.