By Haxel Ruben Murillo, notifight.com
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, former four division champion Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez (46-2, 38 KOs) is very interested in a fight with WBA champion Kal Yafai (22-0, 14 KOs), who is promoted by Eddie Hearn of Matchroom.
Yafai has a defense scheduled on October 28 against Sho Ishida. If he pulls through, Gonzalez would like to get him in the ring on a date in February - which is around the time that HBO is targeting the idea of staging a second event which showcases the super flyweight division.
Gonzalez has lost his last two bouts, including a brutal knockout loss to Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, which took place on September 9 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
In the aftermath of that loss, Gonzalez received a number 2 ranking under the WBA - inching him very close to a showdown with Yafai. Right now Ishida is the mandatory challenger - which means if Yafai wins later this month then Gonzalez would become the next mandatory challenger in line.
Gonzalez was overjoyed with the news of receiving a top rating under the WBA. He expressed his desire to fight Yafai, hopefully in February, but also did not rule out a possible title fight with WBO champion Naoya Inoue.
"It is a blessing to know that the WBA has placed me at number 2 in the rankings. I am grateful to [WBA President] Gilberto Mendoza for this opportunity. I have to sit down to talk with my team and depending on the outcome of that - I will know what what will happen. My attorney Carlos Blandón will head to Japan in October, and we will discuss several issues," Gonzalez said via telephone to El Nuevo Diario.
"I would be delighted to face the English champion Khalid Yafai, but there is also a possibility to fight with WBO champion Naoya Inoue. [My next fight] could be made in February."
Carlos Blandón, the attorney for Gonzalez, made it clear that his main alliance remains with the World Boxing Council (WBC), without ruling out the possibility of working with the WBA. Blandon will discuss the matter with Gonzalez's promoter, Akihiko Honda of Japan.
"I honestly did not realize that about the WBA [of how loyal they are]. We are grateful to all the agencies, with the WBA. I know they have had Román as champion. Our heart and alliance is with the World Boxing Council, but we are leaving our future options open. Right now we have not sat down to talk. Román is in a rest period, and the important thing at the moment is to give him time. We have not contemplated Román's return, but we hope that it will be soon. We have to talk to our promoter about that," said Blandon.