By Miguel Rivera
After 17 months of inactivity, former WBC middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. won a hard fought ten round unanimous decision over Germany's brave challenger Dominik Britsch at Mexico's Arena Monterrey. Before a crowd of 10,000 fans, the three judges scored 99-91 on the cards.
"It was a good fight and it really help to go the full 10 rounds. I had a long layoff and I was very happy to comeback and get the victory. Britsch came to fight and was able to take my punches to the body well, but I felt that he went into survival mode the last few rounds," Chavez said.
"The fans were great and they really pump me up. I hope to be more active next year and give fans the fights they want to see"
Chavez had been out of the ring since last July, when he defeated Marcos Reyes over ten rounds in Texas. But Chavez suffered a serious right hand injury in the contest and was forced to undergo surgery to deal with the injury.
"It hurt a little in the fifth round. (But) the hand responded well, and the hook to the liver was essential. It bothered me little, but it passed the test and I'm ready to fight anyone," Chavez told ESPN Deportes.
Before this fight, Chavez was calling for huge showdowns in 2017 with middleweight king Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin and Mexican superstar Saul ' Canelo' Alvarez. Chavez would like to face Golovkin at 168-pounds - a weight limit he made for Saturday's fight, and he would like Canelo at a catch-weight of 164.
"These 10 rounds will serve me a lot and we are here to fight anyone. We are ready to Gennady Golovkin and are ready for Canelo Alvarez. Let's sit down to define the future," Chavez said.
With the victory, Chavez raised his record to 50-2-1 and 32 knockouts, while Britsch fell to 32-3-1 and 11 knockouts.