Canelo Alvarez is one of the biggest names in the sport, but he's still very much interested in avenging his only career defeat, to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
USA Today asked Canelo what he would say if Mayweather called him up to inquire about his availability, and he responded by saying "anytime he's ready."
“I’ve always had that little itch for (a rematch) since way back, and now I’m more experienced and more mature," Canelo said. "It’s a fight that maybe will happen and will be a great experience."
Canelo didn't lose in his first 43 professional bouts. He fought Mayweather back in 2013, when he sported a 42-0-1 ledger. Canelo's first draw came against Jorge Juarez in his fifth professional bout.
The then-rising red-headed star didn't seem to be ready for the likes of Mayweather, who was 44-0 at the time. Regardless of the last result, Canelo feels that he's ready to take on the 41-year-old legend, who has cemented himself in the record books as an all-time great.
“It was a very boring fight. He didn’t come to fight. He won over experience," Canelo said. “We have to work hard for that fight. We have to work hard very hard for that fight because he’s a fighter that doesn’t throw too much punches."
Mayweather was lured out of retirement last year by UFC superstar Conor McGregor. He emerged victorious by TKO in ten rounds, improving his record to 50-0. He's currently negotiating an exhibition match with Rizin, a Japanese MMA promotion group.
Canelo is fresh off the most notable victory of his career. He handed Gennady Golovkin the first loss of his career this past September. The two fought to a controversial draw in their first matchup back in 2017, and their rematch was one of the most highly anticipated fights of 2018.
Canelo said he's only focusing on his fight with Rocky Fielding right now, which is scheduled for Dec. 15 at Madison Square Garden. He's moving up to 168-pounds to challenge Fielding for his WBA "regular" super middleweight title.