By Miguel Rivera
former world champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez acknowledges that this coming Saturday night he will face a strong and dangerous opponent, but feels positive that preparation is the key to beating James "The Mandingo Warrior" Kirkland. A victory will set Canelo on the path to face Puerto Rican star Miguel Cotto in the fall.
Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs), a former junior middleweight world champion of the World Boxing Council (WBC) and World Boxing Association (WBA), is hoping to land a world title shot later in the year with Cotto being the middleweight champion under the WBC, but Kirkland (32-1, 28 KOs) poses a very obstacle in his path.
"I've done a lot of preparation for this fight because I recognize that Kirkland is an opponent who is very dangerous, but I have world championship in mind for this year and I am confident that I'll win on Saturday. I will remind my countrymen to follow the action in Mexico on Azteca 7, the House of Boxing," said Alvarez.
This will be Canelo's first big showcase on Azteca after spending nearly his entire career with network rival Televisa. The fight will be held at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas. Canelo, 24, has not fought since July 12 of last year when he won a split decision in Las Vegas over Erislandy Lara. An injury prevented him from making a fight that was scheduled to end in 2014.
"My first fight was televised nationally by Azteca TV in May 2007 against Victor Marquez, so I am happy to return to them at this professional stage in my career," said Alvarez.