By Keith Idec
LAS VEGAS – It sure sounded Saturday night as if Canelo Alvarez will make Gennady Golovkin wait once again.
The Mexican icon confirmed that he won’t return to the ring until May, but Alvarez wouldn’t commit to boxing Golovkin again in that fight. Their action-packed, hard-fought, 12-round draw warrants an immediate rematch, but Alvarez indicated Golovkin might have to wait until next September to get another shot at him.
“Look, right now I wanna rest,” Alvarez said through a translator during their post-fight press conference. “Whatever the fans want, whatever the people want and ask for, we’ll do. You know that’s my style. But right now, who knows if it’s in May or September? But one thing’s for sure – this is my era, the era of Canelo.”
Earlier in the press conference, Alvarez acknowledged that there should be a rematch following the inconclusive ending to their long-awaited showdown at T-Mobile Arena.
“With this kind of fight, absolutely, boxing wins, the fans win,” said Alvarez, who made Golovkin wait nearly two years before fighting him. “And if the fans wanna see it again, why not? They can see it again.”
Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) and Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) delivered a fan-friendly fight Saturday night, but judge Adalaide Byrd’s scorecard caused controversy. Byrd scored Alvarez a 118-110 winner, which means she scored 10 of the 12 rounds for him in a fight that much more competitive than that.
Judge Dave Moretti scored it 115-113 for Golovkin. Judge Don Trella had it even (114-114).
Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter, even disputed Byrd’s scorecard. De La Hoya was less decisive about a rematch.
Kazakhstan’s Golovkin would’ve owed Alvarez a rematch had he won their fight for Golovkin’s IBF, IBO, WBA and WBC middleweight titles. Alvarez wouldn’t have owed Golovkin a rematch if he had won.
When a reporter prefaced a question to Alvarez on Saturday night by stating De La Hoya had said he would pursue a rematch, Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez corrected him.
“Oscar said there is a rematch clause,” Gomez said. “He didn’t say he was gonna exercise it. The question was, ‘Is there a rematch clause?’ The answer was, ‘Yes, there is a rematch clause.’ We’re gonna sit down with [Alvarez] and see what he wants to do.”
Whatever Alvarez decides to do, Tom Loeffler, the managing director for K2 Promotions, said Saturday night that he expects Golovkin to fight again in December.
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.