icon Updated at 02:24 AM EST, Sat Jan 5, 2013

Caballero Says Simion WBC Eliminator May Land on 3/30

By Ricardo Mendez Archibold

Former world champion Celestino "Pelenchin" Caballero could reappear on the 30th of March in a clash against unbeaten Romanian Viorel Simion. Caballero himself announced the date himself during a training session in Panama. Promoter Rogelio Espino is reportedly going to handle the show.

"We are still in discussions for the fight to take place on March 30 in Panama, so that doesn't mean it's official," said Caballero.

The duel between "Pelenchin" and Simion will silver featherweight title of the World Boxing Council (WBC) at stake. The winner will also get a mandatory crack at current champion Daniel Ponce De Leon.

Simion, 31, is unbeaten in 16 fights and has seven knockouts. He is the current No. 3 world ranking featherweight under the WBC, and holds their International title.

While Caballero, 36, is ranked at number one by the WBC. Last year he vacated the featherweight title of the World Boxing Association (WBA). He has a professional record of 36 wins, 4 losses and 23 wins of those wins inside the distance.