By Miguel Rivera

WBC super middleweight champion Badou Jack (20-1-1, 12KOs) intends to speak to his promotional company, Mayweather Promotions, to know the official status of the negotiations with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - in order to make a final determination on whether he will wait for Chavez or move forward with a new opponent.

Jack stated that he would rather pursue another opponent than risk another postponement of the fight, but ultimately he believes Floyd Mayweather and company CEO Leonard Ellerbe will make the best decision for his career.

As previously reported, Chavez Jr. revealed that he suffered a left heel injury in training camp and ruled out the tentative date of April 30th for the fight with Jack.

Chavez has been inactive since last July after winning a decision over Marcos Reyes. He suffered a hand injury in the fight and that prevented him from fighting for the rest of 2015.

Jack has been out of the ring since winning a decision over mandatory challenger George Groves last September.

"I really do not know what will happen. I have to talk to my promoter, Mayweather Promotions. I think we'll start thinking about another opponent, because we've already negotiated this fight for a long time. We were supposed to fight in January, but it was postponed and it's continued to be postponed. We have to move forward," Jack told ESPN Deportes.

Chavez believes he'll be able to fight by mid-May.

"It must be hard what is happening to him. If he got hurt, I have to wish him nothing but the best, and we'll see what happens," Chavez Jr. said.

The World Boxing Council sent a letter to Jack and his promoter last Friday, because president Maurcio Sulaiman wants to get an idea of what their champion plans to do as he's coming up on six months without a defense.