Arum's Update on Cotto-Margarito II, Pacquiao-Marquez

By Lem Satterfield

Although Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum still is undecided on where the Dec. 3 rematch between WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and ex-titlist Antonio Margarito of Mexico will take place, he told that New York's Madision Square Garden is ahead in the considerations over the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The battle is the return bout of a 2008 clash that ended with Margarito (38-7, 27 knockouts) handing Cotto (36-2, 29KOs) the first loss of his professional career with an 11th-round stoppage the MGM Grand.

"It looks like New York, but Las Vegas still is in the running," said Arum. "New York is in the lead right it's not done yet."

A former two-time welterweight and one-time junior welterweight champion, the 30-year-old Cotto's fights have been arguably the most popular of any present-day boxer's at Madison Square Garden, where he often has fought in June on the eve of New York's City's annual Puerto Rican Day parade.

Cotto is 8-0, with three knockouts when fighting in New York, and he is 6-0 at Madison Square Garden, where four of those contests have taken place on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade.

"Basically, Miguel prefers New York City," said Cotto's legal adviser, Gaby Penagaricano. "But he's willing to consider Las Vegas if financially it makes a significant change for the event."

Arum had said, however, that New York fights had been cost-prohibitive, particular for an inaugural winter bout featuring Cotto, whose closest bout to that time of year in New York was a November, 2007, unanimous decision victory over Shane Mosley at Madison Square Garden.

"The problems with New York is the expenses with the hotel situation. In the beginning of December, the rates are through the cieling,"  Arum had told on July 6., adding that Madison Square Garden, at the time, was "attempting to get us a really good hotel deal," and that, "Another problem is that the Garden, because of their union, is a very expensive building to operate in."

On Tuesday, however, Arum said New York officials came back with a nice package for the hotels, making MSG a more attractive and likely venue for the 33-year-old Margarito and Cotto to rematch.

Arum also said that he has not yet determined which network, HBO or Showtime, will get to televise either the Cotto-Margarito fight that or the Nov. 12, third bout between eight-division titlist and WBO welterweight king Manny Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) and WBO and WBA light weight titlist Juan Manuel Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KOs).

The two networks are in a bidding war over the two bouts.

"We're expecting Showtime's proposal today or tomorrow," said Arum.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by caredjo on 07-17-2011

[QUOTE=pugay_kamay;10832916]Now their rematch is officially on, what happened to Cotto's previous statement that he will not fight Marg again after the "plaster" incident?[/QUOTE] ... a 5-7 million $ payaday. :hitit:

Comment by eddysteady80 on 07-17-2011

so just miguel cotto is so popular in new york city he is going to win nothing but B/S ill make sure to bring alot of my tacos for margarito support and well see cotto get knock out again

Comment by borikua on 07-13-2011

Please make it in NY.

Comment by JOM'S on 07-13-2011

I am rooting for cotto, hopefully Miguel learned a lot from the first fight and his fight with PAC ...

Comment by tennis-legend on 07-13-2011

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i'm so pumped lets go cotto and pacman what great fights ahead

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (26)
Top Headlines Froch Gives Canelo The Edge To Beat Golovkin, He Explains Why Juan Carlos Payano, Reymart Gaballo Get Big Wins in Florida Making Sense Out Of The UFC Signing Anthony Joshua GGG's Promoter Praises NSAC For Taking Canelo Tests Seriously Video: Johnny Nelson Talks Canelo-Golovkin, Joshua-Wilder Video: Carl Froch Talks Canelo-Golovkin, PEDs, Joshua-Wilder Saunders: When I Face Golovkin or Canelo - You Will See My Best Golden Boy Reacts To Canelo Being Temporarily Suspended Canelo is 'Temporarily Suspended' By NSAC Due To Failed Tests Joshua: Losing Scares Me, Stays on Your Record For Eternity Crawford-Horn Rescheduled for June 9 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas Tyson Fury is Reportedly Closing a Deal With Frank Warren Abel Sanchez: After Vera, Soro Wants Castano Rematch Photos: Jose Martinez, Alejandro Santiago Ready For Battle in PR Badou Jack: I'm Coming To Beat Up Adonis Stevenson! Kody Davies Inks With Hayemaker Ringstar, Fights on Bellew-Haye Parker: Joshua Disrespected Press From New Zealand, Samoa Photos: Tyron Zeuge, Isaac Ekpo Ready For Rematch Clash Whyte: This is My Time To Shine, Browne is Good Name To Beat Saunders To Sanchez: Golovkin is My Backup Plan, I'm Not Yours! Parker: I Just Want To Get in There and Bash Anthony Joshua! Mikey Garcia to Keep IBF 140-Pound Title, Baranchyk Bout Ordered Michael Conlan Added To Lomachenko vs. Linares at MSG Photos: Joseph Parker Putting in Work For Anthony Joshua Clash Giyasov, Akhmadaliev, Ahmedov Back on April 21 Holyfield Card Photos: Buglioni-Johnson, Ritson-Cardle, Chisora - Weigh-In Photos: Dillian Whyte, Lucas Browne - Ready For War in London Trainer Expects Career Best Performance From Gervonta Davis Espinoza Explains Making Lara-Hurd Over Lara-Charlo, Hurd-Charlo Sanchez Not Worried if Canelo Falls Out, Saunders is Backup Frank Warren on Billy Joe Saunders' Injury, Frampton-Donaire Liam: When I Beat Ali For WBO Belt - Khan, Brook Will Want Me Life on The Road - Do You Get a Fair Shake? Hearn Dares Team Parker: Make Your Claims To Joshua's Face! Parker Feels Boost From Deontay Wilder's Encouraging Words Avni Yildirm Arrives To Help Canelo Prepare For Golovkin Jeff Horn Helping Hogan Prepare For WBO Eliminator With Kelly Video: Hearn on Dana White Aiming To Sign Anthony Joshua Floyd Mayweather in MMA - Not Betting Against It Sanchez Questions 'Meat' - Says Golovkin Wants To Punish Canelo

Latest Active Forum Threads