Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum shook his head when Adalaide Byrd was assigned as one of the three official judges for last Saturday's middleweight mega-bout between Gennady Golovkin and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez - which took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Byrd, and the Nevada State Athletic Commission, is under heavy fire - after Byrd scored the contest 118-110 in favor of Canelo, while the other two official judges had it 115-113 Golovkin and 114-114 for the draw.
While the fight was very entertaining, the majority of the post-fight coverage has been on Byrd's scorecard - which even Canelo's promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy, criticized as being too wide for his own fighter.
In the past, Top Rank has tried to remove Byrd from several of their past contests.
Last year, they tried removing Byrd from scoring the Vasyl Lomachenko-Nicholas Walters featherweight clash at the Cosmopolitan. The Nevada State Athletic Commission denied the request.
“We have a whole history with Adalaide Byrd, who I like very much. She’s a wonderful person, but her scorecards have been in many cases been off the wall,” said Arum to the Las Vegas Review Journal.
“The complaint [to remove her from some of our fights] wasn’t that she was against us or that she was prejudiced in any way. The complaint was she wasn’t a good judge, and the we thought, it wasn’t appropriate to have her because we didn’t have any confidence in her ability to judge.”
Despite Arum's complaints, Byrd was still given high profile assignments - including last weekend's controversial scoring of Canelo-Golovkin.
“This what they get,” Arum said about the Canelo-Golovkin controversy. “[Nevada Commission head Bob Bennett] had to know that she had some very questionable scorecards in the past. He had to know that because we told him.”
“It’s the arrogance that they know everything. They think that we are the peasants that care for nothing other than making a buck, and therefore, they’re not going to pay attention to anything we have to say.”