icon Updated at 09:05 AM EDT, Mon Aug 10, 2015

Arum: Mayweather-Berto a Farce, Should've Faced Khan!

By Edward Chaykovsky

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum is among the many who believe that Amir Khan should have been given the opportunity to face WBC/WBA welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. on September 12th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Last week, Mayweather announced Andre Berto as his opponent for the Showtime Pay-Per-View event. Berto, 3-3 in his last six fights, is a huge underdog. Many have labeled the fight a mismatch. Berto stopped Josesito Lopez in June, but he was losing the fight on the cards at the time of the stoppage.

"That's a farce. Mayweather should have fought Khan next. It would have been an interesting fight," Arum told The Telegraph.

Khan has now turned his attention to Arum's star fighter, Manny Pacquiao.

Unlike Mayweather, Arum makes it clear that Pacquiao is not going to avoid the British star.

"One thing's for sure, Pacquiao is not ducking Khan. Pacquiao will fight him. I don't know if Khan will fight Pacquiao, but it's available," Arum said.