by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Former IBF junior flyweight champion Johnreil Casimero’s scheduled title fight against Puerto Rico’s unbeaten IBF super flyweight champion McJoe Arroyo, which was set for December 18 in Las Vegas, has been postponed to sometime in late January or early February next year.
International promoter Sampson Lewkowicz informed his Filipino partner Sammy Gello-ani about the postponement but gave no reasons since Casimero was only featured on the undercard and the problem may involve one of the main events.
Gello-ani told the New Standard/BoxingScene.com that he will pull Casimero out of his Las Vegas training camp with trainer Jhun Agrabio and bring him back to the Philippines “where he can get good sparring and gets to train well. It will be good also for him because he can get much better sparring here.”
Gello-ani said they had been looking to get Casimero sparring partners in Los Angeles but that “with this development right now he has to come back home and depart for Las Vegas in early January.”
Gello-ani said Casimero, who had grown into a fully-fledged 115 pound fighter, was in
good shape and the promoter believes he has a good chance of dethroning the 29 year old.
McJoe Arroyo who has a record of 17-0 with 8 knockouts following a controversial 10th round technical decision over King Arthur Villanueva for the vacant IBF title in El Paso, Texas last July 18.
Casimero was originally scheduled to face McJoe Arroyo’s twin brother McWilliams Arroyo but they decided to move up in weight and face McJoe Arroyo for his 115 pound title. Casimero is coming off a hugely controversial loss to Thailand’s IBF flyweight champion Amnat Ruenroeng last June 27 in a foul-infested, poorly refereed fight by Larry Doggett who came under bitter criticism for his handling of the title fight and was subsequently dropped from the roster of referees. Casimero is four years younger than McJoe Arroyo and has a record of 21-3 with 13 knockouts.
Meantime, Gello-ani revealed that Marvin Sonsona whose No. 5 ranking in the featherweight division by the WBC was removed after Lewkowicz informed president Mauricio Sulaiman that Sonsona had skipped so many fights arranged for him and was not training and that they had junked the lanky featherweight because of his wild and woolly ways and even removed his "Marvelous" tag has appealed for one more chance.
Gello-ani and Lewkowicz agreed that “the only way for Sonsona to be back is to fight here in the Philippines for P50,000. He has to sacrifice if he is really serious of getting back but not in America.”
Gello-ani who helped develop Sonsona’s career and even led him to a world championship wants to make sure that Sonsona trains hard and has given up his fraternizing with his peers in General Santos City and is ready to re-launch his career in all seriousness.