Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Argenis Mendez Determined To Beat Barthelemy Badly

By Keith Idec

Four months after his first title defense resulted in a controversial majority draw, IBF junior lightweight champion Argenis Mendez feels as though he can’t let his fight against Rances Barthelemy go to the scorecards Friday night.

A determined Mendez (21-2-1, 11 KOs) promised to be more aggressive against Barthelemy (19-0, 12 KOs) than he was with Arash Usmanee on Aug. 23 and intends to win their scheduled 12-round fight by knockout. The Mendez-Barthelemy bout will be broadcast by ESPN2 as the main event of the first “Friday Night Fights” telecast of the year.

“I definitely learned that when you’re in the ring, you have to give it your all,” Mendez said. “Sometimes, what you and your corner think isn’t what is going through the judges’ minds. Honestly, I don’t know what fight the judges saw [against Usmanee]. There was no way that bout was a draw.

“Unfortunately, that fight wasn’t the first time this has happened to me. I’ve been robbed twice before, once in Denver (versus Jaime Sandoval), and the other time in Mexico (against Juan Carlos Salgado). I knocked both guys down during our fights. Now, I’m more determined to get in there and be more aggressive to make sure there is no doubt that I am the winner. I’m definitely not going to leave it to the judges. I know for sure that I’m going home with my title.”

The 27-year-old Mendez, a Brooklyn resident raised in the Dominican Republic, lost an eight-round split decision to Sandoval in October 2008. He dropped a 12-round unanimous decision to Salgado in September 2011.

Mendez avenged his questionable loss to Mexico’s Salgado (26-3-1, 16 KOs, 1 NC) by knocking out Salgado in the fourth round of their rematch to win the IBF 130-pound crown March 9 in Costa Mesa, Calif.

Barthelemy beat Thailand’s Fahsai Sakkreerin (40-5-1, 22 KOs) by second-round knockout in an IBF elimination match June 21 in Minneapolis to become Mendez’s mandatory challenger. The Cuban defector previously out-pointed Afghanistan’s Usmanee (20-1-1, 10 KOs) in their 12-rounder last Jan. 4 in Miami to become the IBF’s No. 2 contender.

“I really think Usmanee won his fight with Barthelemy,” Mendez said, “and that’s why I gave him the opportunity in August to fight me for the world title. I honestly thought that he was the better fighter.”

Before Barthelemy and Mendez meet in the main event, Caleb Truax (23-1-1, 14 KOs), of nearby Osseo, Minn., and Ossie Duran (28-11-2, 11 KOs), of Paterson, N.J., will open a new “Friday Night Fights” season in a 10-round middleweight match scheduled to start just after 9 p.m. ET.

Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by DannYankee on 01-04-2014

[QUOTE=damit305;14098727]Not at all. Wouldn't mind a rematch.[/QUOTE] Me neither but Mendez looked so outclassed it would be just to see him ktfo again which really is no reason to want to see a rematch other than the entertainment value.

Comment by damit305 on 01-04-2014

[QUOTE=richardt;14098567]Don't think that one went exactly as he had planned.[/QUOTE] Not at all. Wouldn't mind a rematch.

Comment by richardt on 01-04-2014

Don't think that one went exactly as he had planned.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (3)
Top Headlines Zolani Tete: Belfast Fans Know I'm The Man To Beat Ryan Burnett Frank Warren Talks Anthony Yarde, Daniel Dubois York Hall Card Coldwell To Eubank Jr. - Beg Adam Booth To Take You Back! Porter: I Think Right Now Thurman is Better Than Errol Spence Bivol Aims To Use Some of Andre Ward's Tactics on Barrera How To Fix The 147-Pound Logjam Of Talent With a Tournament Gonzalez, Cintron, Vargas Wins Bouts in Kissimmee, Florida Hearn Open To Do Joshua-Wilder Twice - One in U.S., One in UK Robert Garcia: Mikey is Special Fighter Like Mayweather, Pacquiao Rances Barthelemy: I Want Mikey Garcia in My Next Fight Estrada: I'm Looking To Knock Sor Rungvisai Out, Leave No Doubt Lemieux vs. O'Sullivan on The Canelo-Golovkin Card? Sadam Ali vs. Liam Smith Deal Getting Close, Says Frank Warren Loeffler's 360 Promotions Club Series To Begin on March 27 Photos: Cuadras-Arroyo, Nietes-Reveco, Viloria-Dalakian Weights Photos: Sor Rungvisai, Estrada - Ready For Superfly War Juanma Lopez, Jayson Velez on Point at Final Pre-Fight Weigh-In Horn Suffers Camp Setback For Crawford After Robinson KO Andre Dirrell on Training With Virgil Hunter For Uzcategui Rematch Jermall Charlo vs. Hugo Centeno Pushed Back To April 21 Hobson Wants To Secure Eubank Jr. For Liam Cameron Bellew is Convinced That He Can Put Usyk To Sleep De La Hoya Sure Canelo-Golovkin Rematch Will End in Knockout Dale Evans Decides To Retire From Boxing Max Schmeling Gym Might Close, Culcay, Turchi-Nielsen, More Photos: Callum Smith, Nieky Holzken - Ready For WBSS Showdown Daniel Jacobs: Sulecki Will Fight, Not Try To Survive Like Arias Deontay Wilder on Luis Ortiz: Once a Cheat, Always a Cheat Charlo: I Don’t Give a Sh*t What Centeno Did; I'm No Aleem! Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Not Ready, They Are Trying To Save Him Bellew Backs Callum Smith To Beat George Groves, Win Ali Trophy David Haye: If I Beat Tony Bellew and Struggle - I Will Retire Hearn: Eubank Jr. is a Star - But Any World Class Boxer Beats Him Robert Helenius Returns on March 17, Faces Yury Bykhovtsev Amir Khan: I Just Could Not Retire After The Canelo Loss Porter: Thurman Needs To Step Up - Stop Babying His Elbow! Joseph Diaz Warns Gary Russell - You're Next, I Want That Belt! Mikhalkin's PED Suspension Nearly Made Him Quit Boxing in 2016 Joseph Diaz Drops Terrazas Three Times, Crushes Him in Three Wilder: Tyson, Lewis Should Be Praising Me - Your Era is Gone!
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement