By Keith Idec
MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — Antonin Decarie isn’t known as a big puncher, but the welterweight contender made the most of his opportunity to fight on HBO.
Decarie, of Laval, Quebec, scored an impressive sixth-round technical knockout victory over previously unbeaten Alex Perez in the first of three fights broadcast by HBO on Saturday night from MGM Grand at Foxwoods Resort Casino. The 29-year Decarie improved to 27-1 and recorded the eighth knockout of his seven-year pro career.
“I feel awesome,” Decarie said. “I had a great training camp. The right hand was something we worked on. I knew I could land the right and once I started landing it I knew I could hurt him.”
Decarie first wobbled the 27-year-old Perez, of Newark, N.J., with a right hand in the second round. Perez survived some trouble in that round and by the fourth round the notoriously slow starter began making the fight more competitive.
Late in the sixth round, however, Decarie landed a left hook that left Perez on totally unsteady legs.
A right cross by Decarie dropped Perez with about 25 seconds left in the round. Perez reached his feet, but Decarie attacked and hit him with several hard, straight right hands that prompted referee Danny Schiavone to step in and spare Perez any additional punishment.
“I give Alex credit for taking the fight,” Decarie said. “This was the outcome we expected. I’m ready to take on any welterweight in the world and I can’t wait to be back on HBO.”
Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.