By Murray Walker, courtesy of The Daily Star
BRITISH Olympic bronze medallist Anthony Ogogo will be turned into a “global star” after turning professional last week.
That’s the view of Golden Boy Promotions chief Richard Schaefer who hopes to make him world champion.
Middleweight Ogogo, 24, had to make the decision to continue to Brazil 2016 as an amateur or cash in on his new-found status.
And Schaefer reckons he has made the right decision signing with Oscar de la Hoya’s LA-based company.
Several big British names have fought under Golden Boy’s banner in recent years including Amir Khan, Ricky Hatton and David Haye. Shaefer is delighted to add Ogogo, who beat Ukraine’s world number one Ievgen Khytrov to take bronze, to that list.
“Ogogo has everything you look for in a boxer,” he said. “He can fight, he has style and charisma and amazing crossover potential.
“I have no doubt that Anthony has the skills in the ring and the personality outside of it to make him a global boxing star.”
Britain finished top of the 2012 boxing medal table with three golds, one silver and that bronze of Ogogo’s.
Schaefer also hinted that Ogogo would not be the last of the team to join his stable.
“We are proud to have Anthony and this is just a first step in our growing commitment to British boxing.”
Ogogo, meanwhile, is already in training for his first fight as a pro which is likely to take place in Brooklyn on February 9.
The Lowestoft fighter has some real pedigree, winning the junior Olympics gold in 2004, 2010 Commonwealth Games silver and European silver this year.
Ogogo, an ex-model and Norwich City schoolboy footballer, said: “After the Olympics I’ve been looking towards the future but I feel the time is right to go pro with Golden Boy.
“So many great fighters have come before me here and in the coming years I hope to live up to the standard they’ve set. I can’t wait to start.”
But Ogogo’s news came as a huge blow to the Amateur Boxing Association on a day that it was otherwise celebrating, with its performance director Rob McCracken and the three gold medallists Nicola Adams, Luke Campbell and Anthony Joshua all awarded MBEs in the New Year Honours list.
And McCracken said: “It is disappointing that Anthony has decided his future lies away from the GB Boxing squad but he goes with our very best regards and we wish him every success in his future career.”