By Radio Rahim
Olympic gold medal winner Anthony Joshua (16-0, 16KOs) became a major play in the heavyweight division last Saturday night in London.
In two quick rounds, Joshua knocked out previously undefeated Charles Martin (23-1-1, 21KOs) to capture the IBF heavyweight championship.
Martin capture the vacant title in January with a third round stoppage of Czar Glakov. The belt became vacant after newly crowned champion Tyson Fury was unable to make a mandatory defense against Glazkov.
The first round of the bout with Martin was a cautious one, but Joshua let his hands go in the second. A big right hand sent Martin down on his back. He got to his feet, but quickly went down a second time. At that point Martin waited a long time to get up and the fight was waved off as he got to his feet at the count of ten.
In a post-fight interview with BoxingScene.com, Martin complained about the stoppage. He felt the referee should have allowed the fight to continue.
Joshua agrees that Martin was fully capable of continuing, but the unbeaten Olympian also feels Martin intentionally stayed down because he mentally packed it in.
"The thing is - it wasn't where he was tired and I knocked him out. It was a solid shot. But I think he could have got up. I don't think wanted to get up though," Joshua told BoxingScene.com.
"I don't think he wanted to get up because the referee came and spoke to him in the change room and said 'I'm going to give you until the count of eight to be on your feet and then nine, ten I want you to walk forward to me and then walk back and then I know that you are alright to fight.'
"So I think that, and all respect to Martin he is a cool guy, but that first shot was solid shot...and after the first one, and then after the second one, I don't think he wanted to get up."