Amir Khan was keen to move on to bigger and better things after an unsavoury week ended with an unsatisfactory win over furious WBA light-welterweight title challenger Paul McCloskey.
The 24-year-old champion kept his belt on Saturday night with a unanimous decision win after a cut near McCloskey's left eye prompted a controversial early finish in Manchester.
The anti-climactic ending and subsequent fall-out rounded off an unpleasant week in which the build-up to the fight was overshadowed by Khan's row with broadcasters Sky and defection to minor player Primetime TV.
Post-fight talk was dominated by McCloskey's demands for a rematch and Khan's promotional team putting out public relations fires but the man himself was happy just to focus on his next assignment, when he bids to add Timothy Bradley's WBC and WBO titles to his own WBA belt.
He said: "My promotional team looks after all that so Oscar (De La Hoya) is going to go back to America and see what we can do for the unification fight.
"Bradley is a good fighter but that's just going to push me and motivate me. These big fights in the future only make you a better fighter.
"Oscar will tell you, these big fights are always going to push you. When I go back to LA for my training camp, knowing it is Bradley I'm fighting is going to push me even more. I feel there's levels in boxing and Bradley is the same level as me. We're in the world class level.
"I'm happy to see what happens with the next fight. We've talked of unification fights and that's my ambition and I'm going to leave it to Golden Boy. I'm sure in the next couple of days we'll find out out what the score is."
Khan is highly unlikely to fight on British soil again for the foreseeable future as Golden Boy Promotions chief De La Hoya continues to build his profile in the United States.
The American fight legend, now arguably the world's leading promoter, will perhaps be glad to see the back of England after a difficult week for Khan's team.
Firstly Sky decided to downgrade the fight from Sky Box Office to Sky Sports 3, prompting Khan's team to turn their back on the broadcasting giant and throw their lot in with obscure pay-TV channel Primetime. Their handling of the situation did them no favours while De La Hoya's attempts to defend the move only made things worse.
A bad week was compounded by the outcome of the fight as a healthy MEN Arena crowd of around 18,000 was left disappointed by referee Luis Pabon's questionable decision to call the fight off on doctor's advice without giving McCloskey's team even one chance to work on the cut.
McCloskey and his promoters Barry and Eddie Hearn from Matchroom were left raging by the decision and called for a rematch. However, as a voluntary defence and with Khan winning every round on the scorecards, their calls will prove to be in vain.
Asked if there was unfinished business due to the anti-climactic ending, Khan - now 25-1 (17KOs) - said: "There is no point giving him a rematch. Why should I? I've got bigger things to do.
"That was 'finished business'. I won every round. It was one-sided."
An angry Barry Hearn claimed the ending was "the most staggering decision I've ever seen at any ring at any time anywhere in the world" while his son Eddie claimed the British Boxing Board of Control have said they will look into the matter.
A chaotic press conference was dominated by bickering between Khan's family and advisers, McCloskey's team and partisan Northern Irish media with McCloskey barely speaking.
The previously-unbeaten European champion, now 22-1 (12KOs), expressed his disgust that Khan claimed he actually asked the doctor to stop it.
"I heard that Amir told the radio that I wanted the fight stopped myself. What's that about?" the incredulous Irish boxer said.
"It's a disgrace. After that performance, is he a pound-for-pound champion? I don't think so."