Advertisement
Advertisement

Winky Wright Speaks On Quillin Fight, Immediate Future

By Jake Donovan

Former lineal 154 lb. king Winky Wright ended a hiatus of more than three years in returning to the ring Saturday night to face unbeaten Peter Quillin at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

What hasn’t changed is the date of his last win, which came all the way back in Dec. ’06 when the potential future Hall-of-Famer outpointed Ike Quartey. Wright has dropped three straight since then, losing decisions to Bernard Hopkins, Paul Williams and now against Quillin after falling way short in their Showtime-televised co-feature.

The loss to Quillin was far more disheartening than any other for Wright, who saw a rare trip to the canvas after getting drilled by a right hand midway through the fifth round. The 40-year old southpaw was able to recover, but at no point was a threat to turn things around against the unbeaten middleweight contender.

It was an eye-opening defeat, as Wright realized his glory days are long behind him and that it’s an uphill battle to enjoy any success in his latest comeback. The once-stubbornly proud fighter recognizes that inactivity and middle-age are not an ideal combination for a successful boxing future.

“Definitely rust and a little bit of father time,” Wright admitted after falling well short against Quillin. “He did better than I thought. I wasn’t ever hurt at all. He caught me one time with a flash knockdown but I got right back up.”

Prior to the fight, the hypothetical question was raised of how Wright would fare against Quillin had he been able to step into the wayback machine and resurface as a version closer to the era where he roamed the pound-for-pound ranks. To his credit, Wright admitted that all he can do is play the hand that he’s dealt.

“We live in the moment,” Wright acknowledged. “[Quillin] fought a good fight. It was tough for me to get my punches off the way he was leaning and he came back with these wild punches. I can't take nothing away from him. He fought a good fight.”

The obvious question now is whether or not Wright has any more good fights left in his 40-year old body. The iron-chinned Wright was dropped for the first time in nearly two decades and weight-wise could be a man without a country. Saturday’s fight took place at 160, which Wright believes its participants could be a bit out his element.

“We'll see,” Wright said of whether or not he’d consider retirement as a viable option. “He was a little too big for me; I wanted to fight at 154. I fought a good fight fight. I think he won.”

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter: @JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments via e-mail.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by nycsmooth on 06-03-2012

if Wright was looking 4 a big $$ bout & retire this wasn't it...I'd b surprised if he got more than $30k...he didn't show me enough 2 continue vs any1 elite as he's not elite now...Retire!!!

Post a Comment/View More User Comments (1)
Top Headlines Brook: I Wish Khan The Best, Don't Think He Can Beat Canelo Gutknecht To Braehmer: I’m Ready To Avenge My Defeat! Robert Helenius-Johann Duhaupas on April 2 For WBC Silver Belt Evander Holyfield: Anthony Joshua is Best Fighter UK Ever Had Mayweather: Khan Should Have Fought Brook, Not Canelo "Fighting Words" - Canelo vs. Khan: A One-Ring Circus Khan: If I'm Scared of Brook, Then Why Would I Fight Canelo? Guillermo Rigondeaux Wants To Excite in Liverpool, Says Diaz Haye Says The Klitschko Era is Over, Tabs Fury For Repeat Win Austin Trout Willing To Travel, Face Liam Smith in The UK Tyson Fury Hopes Wladimir Klitschko Rematch is Set 'ASAP' Hatton: Canelo Will Be Too Strong and Powerful For Amir Khan Francisco Vargas: Salido Would Be High Risk, a Good Challenge Povetkin: After Wilder I'm Open To Fury, Martin and Klitschko Lucian Bute, Alvarez, Beterbiev Tripleheader on April 2nd? Khan: People Thought De La Hoya Would Destroy Pacquiao Wanheng Menayothin Defends WBC Strap on March 2nd Artur Beterbiev Eyes Ring Return in March or April Pedro Guevara Faces Jether Oliva on February 20 in Sinaloa McGuigan: Khan is Very Ballsy, Canelo Walks Around at 200 Sam O'Maison Stole The Show With Big Knockout Over Hardy Cortez Feels Canelo-Golovkin is More Likely For 2017 Showtime Championship Boxing 30: Hopes for the Year Ahead Tyson Fury Hopes To Head Up New Heavyweight Era Amir Khan Admits Canelo's Size Initially Concerned Him Daily Bread Mailbag: Kovalev, Golovkin, Canelo-Khan, More Frank Warren: Boxing Must Do More For Retired Fighters Johann Duhaupas Returns, Dominates Nascimento Over Ten Khan Says Shock Value Makes '50-50' Fight With Canelo Bigger Kovalev's Coach: If Ward Can't Hurt Sergey, He's in Trouble! Jamel Herring Looking To Step Things Up in 2016 Luis Ortiz Stays Patient, Waiting For Opponent To Get Finalized Sulaiman Warns Canelo That He Can't Make Mistakes With Khan Ocampo Blasts Out Navarro In Five; Cayetano Wins Alberto Machado, Abner Cotto KO Winners In Puerto Rico Kelly Pavlik Charged, Facing 180 Days in Air Rifle Shooting Photos: Deontay Wilder, Shaquille O'Neal Go Face To Face Jhonny Gonzalez Says Abner Mares Ran From Rematch Golovkin's Coach Doubts Canelo Fight Will Happen in 2016 Nonito Donaire To Hold Camp in Las Vegas For Bedak Clash
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement